During the summer, one of my favorite things to make as a kid was s’mores. While I like a good bonfire, I LOVE the fact that I can have this quick and easy Homemade S’mores Brownies dessert any time of the year.
These easy homemade s’mores brownies start with our grandma’s famous Fudgy Brownies as the base, but then are layered with toasted marshmallows, graham crackers, and chocolate squares to make the perfect s’more dessert.
If you love S’mores, be sure to check out more of our favorite s’more desserts, such as our No Bake S’mores Bars, S’mores Dessert Pizza, S’mores Hershey Kiss Cookies, and our Disneyland S’mores Bake!
What are S’mores?
A s’more is basically a graham cracker sandwich – take a graham cracker, break it in two, put a toasted marshmallow and half of a chocolate bar in. between the graham crackers and there you have it!
“S’more” is short for “some more”. There are many opinions about who first came up with a “s’more”, but there is one early published recipe by The Campfire Marshmallow Company in 1920’s. It’s been around for a very long time!
Usually s’mores are cooked over a campfire (here’s a cool way to make them in the microwave!), but this recipe has you toast the marshmallows on top of your brownies right in your oven.
Related Article: 12 Amazing S’mores You Need To Make This Summer
Ingredients in Homemade S’mores Brownies
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Salt (I used unsalted)
- Miniature marshmallows
- Graham crackers
- Hershey’s candy bars
*Pro tip: If you don’t have Hershey’s candy bars available, you could substitute chocolate chips.
How to make Homemade S’mores Brownies
Turn the oven on to 325 degrees then get a 9 x 13 inch baking pan out and grease it with non-stick cooking spray.
In a small saucepan over medium heat, begin to melt the butter. After the butter has melted completely, stir in the cocoa powder until it is smooth.
Next, grab a medium-sized mixing bowl and add in the granulated sugar and eggs and stir them until they are combined.
With the sugar and eggs mixed together, add in the vanilla, flour and the salt. Cream all of the ingredients together until they are fully combined.
Now that the brownie batter is all mixed together, spoon the batter into the prepared 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
Then, place the pan in the oven for about 25 to 28 minutes or until the brownies are cooked all the way through.
One the brownies are cooked all the way, remove the pan from the oven. Top the brownies with miniature marshmallows, broken graham cracker pieces, and Hershey’s candy bar pieces evenly throughout the whole pan.
Place the pan back in the oven for 2-3 more minutes or until the marshmallows are starting to puff up and the Hershey’s candy bar pieces begin to melt.
Take the brownies out of the oven and let them cool completely. Cut them into squares and enjoy.
Our most popular brownies are our Texas Sheet Cake Brownies – they are incredible and so easy.
Can I used a brownie mix from a box for this Homemade S’mores Brownies recipe?
Definitely! Brownies from a box will work perfectly in this recipe. Just make sure that the brownie mix is for a 9×13″ pan.
Follow the directions on the box of brownies and bake as directed, then pick up on the step of the recipe where you add the marshmallows, graham crackers, and Hershey’s chocolate pieces on top.
If you want to make your brownie mix from a box taste better, check out these tips.
How to cleanly cut brownies
These brownies are GOOEY and can be really hard to cut! Here are my tips to getting a nice, clean cut.
- Let the brownies cool completely before you try to cut them. Cutting warm, gooey marshmallows is only asking for a mess. If you don’t care how the brownies look, feel free to cut into them while they are still warm. But if you want a nicer, clean edge, resist the urge and let them cool down.
- Use a plastic serrated knife. I know that it sounds crazy, but it works!
- Spray your knife with non-stick cooking spray (or your choice of grease). Just spray both sides of the blade before making a cut. After each cut, wipe the knife clean and re-spray.
- Dip the knife in hot water before making each cut. Clean off the knife after each cut and then dip it again in the hot water. It will help make every cut smooth as butter!
Other things to add to these Homemade S’more Brownies:
My kids love to mix it up and add all kinds of things to their brownies! Here are some of our favorite toppings that would be delicious on these S’more Brownies.
- peanut butter chips
- M & M’s
- chopped nuts
- crushed Oreo cookies
- Reese’s peanut butter cups
- drizzled caramel
- sliced strawberries or raspberries
- drizzled Nutella
Watch us make the easiest S’mores dessert!
If you have read our recipes and wondered what it’s like in our kitchen while we make our tried and true recipes, check out our YouTube channel!
Looking for more recipe ideas?
Join our email list today and we will send you a FREE ebook of our favorite dinner recipes – plus we will send you recipes each week to help make your dinner planning easier!
Join today by CLICKING HERE.
More of our favorite recipes
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Six Sisters’ Stuff COPYCAT COOKING <—– Click here to order!
Want more brownie recipes?
- Lunch Lady Brownies
- Hershey’s Cream Cheese Brownies
- Rocky Road Brownies
- Layered Peanut Butter Brownies
- Mom’s Famous Chocolate Marshmallow Brownies
- Samoa Brownies
Homemade S'mores Brownies Recipe
- 1 cup butter
- 8 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- pinch salt
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 4 graham cracker sheets
- 3 (1.55) ounce Hershey Chocolate Candy Bars
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Once butter is melted, stir in cocoa until smooth. Pour into a mixing bowl.
- Then add in sugar and eggs to the mixing bowl and stir together.
- Add in vanilla, flour, and salt and beat together well.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 25 to 28 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Remove pan from oven and top with marshmallows, graham crackers, and candy bar pieces. Place pan back in oven and cook for 2-3 more minutes or until marshmallows start to puff up and chocolate pieces start to melt.
- Allow brownies to cool completely, then cut into squares and serve.