I am sure that you noticed by now my obsession with all things made with a cake mix . . . it’s just such an easy way to whip out a quick dessert (or muffin!). The 4th of July is one of my favorite holidays and when I saw these festive sprinkles at the store, I knew that I had to have them. They sat in my pantry for a couple of days until I had a craving for cake mix cookies . . . and I decided to dump in the sprinkles to add a little bit of 4th of July flair. My family loves cake mix cookies- they never stick around for long at our house! And really, you could change the cake mix flavor and sprinkle color to anything you want (or have on hand) and they still turn out amazing. I call these ones firework cookies because the sprinkles look like little fireworks (okay, I know that I am really stretching it there . . . they just needed a catchy name!).
4th of July Firework Cookies Recipe
The 4th of July is one of my favorite holidays and when I saw these festive sprinkles at the store, I knew that I had to make these cookies.
- 1 box cake mix (I used Duncan Hines Classic White, but any French Vanilla or white cake mix would work. I also really like Pillsbury cake mixes for making cake mix cookies)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1.75 ounces sprinkles red, white, and blue sprinkles (mine were Betty Crocker brand)
- 1 cup white chocolate chips (optional, but they really are so good!)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, mix together the cake mix (DO NOT follow the directions on the back of the cake mix box- just pour the powdery mix into the bowl) and baking powder. Mix in eggs, vegetable oil, and vanilla. Stir together, then dump in sprinkles and white chocolate chips. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes (do not overbake- you want them to be soft!). Let sit on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to continue cooling.
- *If you are in a high altitude like me, add 2 Tablespoons of flour to your cake mix
Calories: 171 kcal · Carbohydrates: 20 g · Protein: 2 g · Fat: 10 g · Saturated Fat: 6 g · Trans Fat: 1 g · Cholesterol: 15 mg · Sodium: 178 mg · Potassium: 86 mg · Fiber: 1 g · Sugar: 13 g · Vitamin A: 23 IU · Vitamin C: 1 mg · Calcium: 54 mg · Iron: 1 mg
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Non-stick Cooking Spray
- Cookie Sheet
Recipe idea adapted from Cookin’ Cowgirl