I love a good taco dish!
These 20 Minute 7 Layer Chicken Tacos are incredibly easy to make and full of flavor.
Looking for another taco recipe? Try our Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Tacos!
Could I make this recipe using soft tacos/tortillas?
For this recipe, I used hard shells (which I normally never use. We try to use whole wheat soft tortillas), but you could also use soft tacos or tortillas.
I like to use the Old El Paso Tacos with a flat bottom so they stand up on their own in the pan.
*I have also found these are easier to layer when I use a hard shell. I usually layer my beans, chicken, then cheese, followed by all the fresh and cold ingredients, for a fresh taco taste.
We recommend using the mini ones (like street tacos) and broiling them in the oven, after decorating them. Just to give them that delicious melted cheese, and crispiness we all love.
These would also work with the whole wheat tortillas. I did see that my grocery store has started to carry mini whole wheat tortillas, if you are looking for a healthier option.
You could also use large tortillas, but they may be more difficult to broil. You may have to do one or two at a time on a cookie sheet.
Sneak in some vegetables to these 7 Layer Chicken Tacos:
I love this recipe, because it really does have a lot of fresh ingredients. I am all about fresh, and trying to eat clean (but some days I like to let loose and eat a taco shell). This is a great recipe to sneak in some vegetables.
You could easily make one of your “layers” a new vegetable that the *kids haven’t tried before. The shell does a good job of hiding it, and once you put on some cheese, nobody will ever notice what was underneath.
Here are a few veggies you could secretly throw in:
- Diced Cucumber
- Banana Peppers (or other peppers)
- Diced Zucchini
- Chopped Spinach
- Chopped Cabbage
- Black Beans
- Finely Chopped Broccoli
Really you could throw in whatever you want, and you won’t even be able to taste it, with all the other things going on. It’s the perfect recipe to hide vegetables, and not even taste them.
*This is also husband proof as well.
Did you know we have a Youtube Channel?
We have hundreds of simple and delicious recipes, your family is going to love. We take you through each recipe, step by step, and show you exactly how to make them.
Looking for more favorite Mexicans dishes? try these:
- Slow Cooker Chili’s Steak Fajitas
- 20 Minute Skillet Refried Beans
- Fully Loaded Guacamole
- Easy Baked Taco Fries
- Chicken Enchilada Pasta
- Chicken Ranch Tacos
20 Minute 7 Layer Chicken Tacos Recipe
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cooked and shredded)
- 1 (4.5 ounce) can green chiles (drained)
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 cup sour cream divided
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 10 hard taco shells
- ¾ cup refried beans
- ½ cup shredded Mexican cheese blend (or you can use feta)
- ⅓ cup cilantro chopped
- 20 cherry tomatoes diced
- 1 avocado diced
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, combine your shredded chicken, green chiles, honey, 1/3 cup sour cream, and pepper.
- Mix until well combined.
- Place your taco shells in a 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Spread about 1 Tablespoon of the refried beans on the bottom of each shell with a spoon.
- Place about 1/4 cup of your chicken mixture on top of the refried beans.
- Sprinkle the chicken layer with cheese.
- Place the tacos in the oven and bake for 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the chicken is warm.
- Top your tacos with a dollop of sour cream, cilantro, tomatoes, and avocado.
- Eat immediately and enjoy.
- These are also delicious with a little ranch or salsa on them.
- Mixing Bowl
- 9×13-inch Baking Pan
Never Miss Another Six Sisters’ Recipe Again: Follow Six Sisters’ Stuff on Instagram|Facebook|Pinterest|YouTube