Recipes

Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes

IMG_1178[1]

This is a delicious, quick meal for summer when you don’t want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen!

My husband is a big meat eater and gets sick of regular sloppy joes,  so these were an awesome alternative!

1 lb. ground beef/sirloin
1 onion, chopped
1/4 c. steak sauce
1 c. beef stock
1 green pepper, chopped
1 pkg. sliced mushrooms
Provolone cheese, cut into slices or pre-sliced
Salt & Pepper to taste
Buns/Rolls

Preheat broiler.

In large skillet over medium-high heat brown the ground beef/sirloin, about 5-6 minutes. Add the onion, green pepper and mushrooms and cook another 3-4 minutes, until they start to get tender. Stir in the steak sauce and beef stock, season with salt and pepper, bring up to a bubble and cook about 2 minutes.

Split open rolls, place one slice of cheese on one side and toast under broiler, keep your eye on them so they don’t burn!

Place a scoopful of the meat on the bottom half of the bun, drizzle with additional steak sauce and place cheesy bun on top! Delish!

Comments

• jake says

I have used white american cheese instead of provolone… i have been making philly cheese all along with it

This looks excellent! I love Philly Cheesesteaks. Was wondering about the steak sauce, what kind do you use? I am pretty unfamiliar with them and would like to know what to buy. Thanks! p.s. I am trying the crockpot refried beans today!

I tripled the recipe for my family!! It tasted great! Only modification I would change for next time is to use less broth. I drained about a cup from the pot before I served it. Other than that, I wouldn’t change a thing!! Thanks for sharing!!

Just made these and they were so yummy! My fiancé suggested adding teriyaki because that’s what they do at Penn Station. Do this! A tablespoon or two of teriyaki really made a difference! Yum!

We made this tonight with ground turkey and it was yummy! We added more steak sauce and melted the provolone in with the meat and veggies. We will definitely make this again!

We LOVED these! I actually found a 4-cheese blend from Land O Lakes at the deli counter – an Italian blend. SO GOOD! Will be making these instead of Manwich from now on.

Would it change the taste to mince the mushrooms, onion, and green pepper to better hide them in the meat? I wouldn’t think it would, but as soon as I assume something… we all know that saying.

• says

I have never had a problem with it being overly soupy. If you feel like there is too much liquid, you could cook it longer, add less broth or use a slotted spoon when serving.

7. Darlene Prevish says

I just cooked the liquid off, but I added garlic powder to it so the taste of the steak sauce wouldn’t be so overpowering and I used a little less steak sauce. I’m going to try the teriyaki idea next time. Great recipe.

8. Kim says

I am making this tonight for dinner but going to cut down on mushrooms and bell peppers.Me and my oldest are the only ones who like mushrooms but I love bell peppers but no one else does.I am making up a pasta side to go with it.Hopeing it turns out to be really good.

9. Jeanene D says

Made this for dinner tonight. Everyone loved it. Used mozzarella instead of provolone cause that’s what I had. Even my picky son liked it. Added some garlic. Only had bold and spicy A1 so used less and added in some soy sauce for flavor. Thanks for sharing!!! Will be going in the family likes it cookbook. :D

10. Jennifer says

Made this exactly as recipe states and my meat was soupy as well. I ended up draining liquid off and cooking it down. I would cut the broth amount at least in half. I wonder why you’ve never had that problem? Still yummy though! Easy way to have a philly!

11. Theresa says

I made this last night for my family and it was absolutely Delicious. Thank you for sharing :) I did add a tablespoon more of the A1 sauce and reduced the beef both in the pan till most of it reduced down 90%….yummy!!! We got bored of sloppy joe’s years ago and this is our replacement now and oh my this is WAY better :)

12. Rachel says

Making this for dinner for tonight! This looks so good and we love philly cheesesteak! This will be a nice change from regular sloppy joes. I am not using mushrooms in it this time but I bet they would be very good!

13. Tammy says

My family absolutely love this recipe!!! The only thing I do differently is tha I leave out the mushrooms. Thank you so much for great recipes!!

14. Sarah Eades says

This was super delicious! I am not a steak sauce person, and I loved it. My picky daughter, who will not touch regular sloppy joes, ate this and liked it. Thanks for another good recipe to add to my rotation.

15. Candee says

I made this tonight for dinner and it was absolutely delicious. We are trying to watch our carb intake so we used lettuce to wrap the filling instead of a bun and it was wonderful. I will be making this again for sure and it was so quick and easy. Love it !!!!!