This Simple Crab Soup is what my mother-in-law is known for. It’s my husband’s favorite, and mine too! Simple ingredients, easy to make— but oh so flavorful—this Simple Crab Soup is going to be one of your favorites too.
A simple, yet flavorful soup is something every home cook needs up their sleeves. This recipe infuses flavor by first simmering the onion, celery, and potatoes in the crab meat liquid (drained from the can) and just enough water to cover all of the vegetables. While the veggies are simmering, you can make a simple roux.
What is a roux and how do you make it?
A roux is a mixture of fat and flour that is the base for making smooth, thick soups and sauces. We used butter for this recipe.
Simply melt the butter in a saucepan and slowly add the flour while whisking to avoid clumping. Have the half and half ready and on hand to add as soon as your flour and butter are combined into a thick paste.
Stir constantly while slowly adding the half and half. Again, the goal is to avoid lumps by adding slowly and whisking constantly. Wire whisks are a must for this recipe!
Continue to stir over medium heat until thick and smooth. Then, add veggies, crab meat, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine and serve!
Whether you intend to serve this as an appetizer or main dish, this Simple Crab Soup will be a tasty addition to your dinner table.
How to make this Simple Crab Soup
I like to start by chopping of my vegetables up. Then put the onion, celery and potatoes in a large pot.
Drain your crab meat and pour the crab meat liquid over all the veggies.
Start adding water to your pot so it will cover just the tops of your vegetables.
Simmer over medium heat until veggies are tender.
While your vegetables are cooking, melt butter in a saucepan. Add in your flour, and mix it well making a roux. Blend it until smooth.
Stir constantly while slowly adding half and half to the roux. Cook and stir with wire whisk until thick and smooth.
Add the roux mixture to your cooking vegetables and combine.
Add your crab meat into your soup along with salt and pepper. Mix until combined and serve.
What to serve crab soup with?
- Add some crunch with saltine crackers
- Top with lemon juice
- A must have side of Homemade French Bread
- Supplement with veggies, such as our Easy Broiled Asparagus
- Add a light salad, like our Berry Balsamic Salad with Candied Pecans
Do you love crab as much as we do?
Here are some other recipes you might like.
Simple Crab Soup Recipe
- 1 onion diced
- 4 celery stalks diced
- 3 russet potatoes cubed
- 12 ounces minced white crab meat 2 (6 ounce cans)
- ¾ cup butter
- ¾ cup flour
- 1 quart half and half cream or milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- pepper, to taste
- Place your your onion, celery and potatoes in a large pot.
- Drain your crab meat and pour the crab meat liquid over all the veggies.
- Add enough water to cover all of the vegetables.
- Simmer over medium heat until veggies are tender.
- Melt butter in heavy saucepan.
- Add flour, making a roux, and blend until smooth.
- Stir constantly while slowly adding half and half.
- Cook and stir with wire whisk until thick and smooth.
- Add your mix to the veggies and combine.
- Add your crab meat, salt, and pepper.
- Mix until combined and serve.
- large pot
Be sure to not miss another recipe!
Follow Six Sisters’ Stuff on Instagram | Facebook | Pinterest | YouTube
Our newest cookbook
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Six Sisters’ Stuff COPYCAT COOKING <—– Click here to order!
Questions & Reviews