I’m not a huge fan of super-healthy foods, but I am all about substituting certain foods for healthier counterparts (especially after having twins…that baby weight is no joke).
I looooove a good hamburger in the summertime, but hate the calories that come with it. A large portobello mushroom only has 35 calories (compared to the 200+ found in a regular hamburger patty).
This tasty substitution is one of my favorites because it still tastes like a hamburger.
Plus, you get extra bonus points because mushrooms are chuck full of antioxidants – and last I heard, those are pretty good for you.
Pair it with these baked sweet potato fries, and you have yourself a tasty and healthy (but still delicious) meal.
What cheese would taste best with this burger?
I am a huge burger fan. I love putting together my burgers, with all the fixings and different combinations.
One of my favorite combinations is swiss cheese and portobello mushrooms. If I had to choose any cheese to pair with this, it would definitely be swiss cheese.
Provolone or pepper jack would be a close second.
Here are a few other hamburger toppings that would taste delicious, on this meatless burger:
-sautéed red bell peppers
Have you heard about our restaurant copycat cookbook?
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
Thiscookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Six Sisters’ Stuff COPYCAT COOKING <—– Click here to order!
Watch how to make another one of our favorite healthy recipes, here:
Did you know we have a Youtube Channel? We created it just for you. We wanted to show you how simple and delicious our recipes are.
We take you through each recipe, step by step, and show you exactly how to make it. We answer all your questions, and help you get the recipe, perfect, each and every time you make it.
If you are looking for more simple and delicious recipes, head over to our channel and check them out.
I can’t eat broccoli when it is by itself, but put it in this Loaded Broccoli Salad recipe, and I will gobble it right up. It is so delicious, and so easy to make.
It comes together in minutes, and will be a crowd favorite every time, even for the broccoli haters.
Watch how to make it, here:
Looking for a healthy dessert to serve with this? Here are a few of our favorites:
- Skinny Frozen Strawberry Bites
- Skinny Banana Split
- Skinny No Bake Coconut Bars
- Skinny Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- Skinny Chunky Monkey Cookies
Portobello Mushroom Burgers Recipe
- 4 Portobello Mushrooms Caps - rinsed and dried
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 hamburger buns
- 4 slices Provolone cheese
- 1 tomato sliced - for toppings
- 4 slices red onion for topping
- ½ cup spinach leaves - for topping
- In a shallow dish, mix together olive oil, soy sauce, basil, garlic, and salt and pepper. Place mushrooms smooth side down in the mixture. Use a basting brush to cover the underside of the mushrooms with the marinade. Let the mushrooms sit in the marinade for about 15 minutes, flipping and basting them once or twice.
- Heat a grill to medium-high heat. Add mushrooms to the grill, reserving the marinade, and cook for about 6-8 minutes on each side, or until mushrooms are tender. As the mushrooms cook, continue to brush them with the reserved marinade
- Top with cheese and serve with your favorite hamburger toppings and sides.
- Mixing Bowl