A good Philly Cheesesteak sandwich is loaded with steak, provolone cheese, pepper, onions, and mushrooms. You will find all of these delicious ingredients in these Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Shells.
The provolone cheese almost gives it a smoky taste that takes it over the top. The steak was sliced thin, and so tender and moist in the stuffed shells.
Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Shells were easy to make. And if you love steak, this is sure to be added to your dinner rotation.
what kind of steak is best in Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Shells?
Our favorite steak in these Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Shells is the boneless New York Steak. We sliced it very thin and then cooked it with the onion and peppers.
Beef tenderloin sliced thin is also another delicious steak option. It’s so moist that it almost melts in your mouth.
Traditionally, Philly Cheesesteak is often made with a thinly sliced Ribeye. Ribeye is a little more expensive, so you may want to buy it when it’s on sale.
Another cut of meat that works well with Philly Cheesesteak is top sirloin. It’s a flavorful cut of meat that is tasty for these shells.
can these stuffed shells be made ahead of time?
Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Shells can easily be made ahead of time. Prepare the stuffed shells, then cover with foil or place them in an airtight container and store in the fridge until ready to bake.
We have made these 1 day early, and they have baked up well. The shells will only last a few days in the fridge in an airtight container. So try to prepare them 1 to 2 days before baking, if you need to make them ahead of time.
how to make philly cheesesteak stuffed shells
We used these jumbo pasta shells in this recipe. It makes a lot and the box is a 12 ounce package.
- Cook pasta shells according to package directions and set aside on wax paper to cool.
- Cut the beef into thin strips.
- Cut the mushrooms, onion, and peppers into thin strips.
- Place butter, oil, and garlic in a saute pan with the sliced beef. Cook until the steak is no longer pink.
- Place the meat on a plate and set aside.
- Add more butter and oil in the saute pan and add all of the vegetables. Cook over medium until tender.
- Add in 1/2 cup beef bouillon to the vegetables. Then add in the cooked steak to the vegetables.
- Season with salt and pepper, Italian seasoning, and garlic salt.
- To thicken the sauce, add 1 Tablespoon cornstarch with 1 Tablespoon water and add to the steak and veggie mixture. Heat and stir until thickened.
- Fill each pasta shell with a spoonful of meat and veggie mixture.
- Then place a small slice of provolone cheese on top of the meat mixture in each shell. (slice each piece of provolone into 4-6 pieces)
- Prepare the cheese sauce by heating milk and beef bouillon with 1 Tablespoon cornstarch over medium heat.
- Slowly add in the provolone cheese and stir until completely melted.
- Pour 1/2 of the cheese mixture around the shells and in the bottom of the pan.
- Cook for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Remove from oven and top with the rest of the cheese sauce before serving.
helpful items used for Philly cheesesteak stuffed shells
- Non Stick Skillet – This 12 inch non stick skillet is great for so many recipes.
- 9 x 13 Inch Baking Dish – We love this glass baking dish that comes with a lid.
- Vegetable Knife – 2 knives that work great for fruit and veggies.
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
SIX SISTERS’ STUFF COPYCAT COOKING <—– CLICK HERE TO ORDER!
here are more philly cheesesteak recipes to try:
- Philly Steak and Swiss Sliders
- BBQ Philly Cheesesteak Pizza
- Philly Cheesesteak Wrap
- Philly Cheesesteak Stromboli
- Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes
Have you seen our YouTube channel?
Watch how easy it is to make our delicious Steak Fajita Bowls.