I’ve been trying to feed my family healthier food for the last few months, but I always have such a sweet tooth.
I had some overripe bananas and thought I would make a nutritious and delicious after school snack for my kids and they loved it.
How to make healthy whole wheat banana muffins:
Step 1: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Step 2: Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners or spray with nonstick cooking spray. I have done it both ways, and both work great.
Step 3: In a large bowl, mash bananas. I used a fork to mash my bananas but you could use a spoon or a whisk.
Step 4: Beat together eggs and mix with bananas. You could use a hand mixer, but a whisk or spoon would also work.
Step 5: Add applesauce, maple syrup, olive oil and vanilla. Mix until well combined. I used cinnamon applesauce for this recipe, because I like the taste it gives it. It adds a little hint of cinnamon to it.
Step 6: Add baking powder, baking soda, salt and flour and mix until combined.
Step 7: Fill each cupcake liner 2/3 of the way full or use a large cookie scoop to place batter in cups.
Step 8: Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until set on the inside and golden brown on top.
Give these Healthy Whole Wheat Banana Muffins a little extra flavor:
If your food is ever tasting a little bland, or you need a little more flavor, there are simple ways to spice up a recipe. For this particular recipe, we use applesauce.
I love using cinnamon applesauce to give these muffins a little more flavor.
You could also use a flavored extract such as almond, lemon, butter, etc.
What would happen if I make this recipe with all-purpose flour?
You could easily make this recipe with all purpose flour. It is a little different when it comes to taste and texture.
We recommend starting small, then adding a little extra flour as you go. You can always add flour, but you can’t always take it back.
You could also sprinkle some mini chocolate chips on top before baking if you’re really feeling wild.
I have also garnished these with a little powdered sugar as well. I have also made these with peanut butter chips and they are delicious.
I also found some Heath bits at the store the other day, and I bet those would taste amazing with these muffins.
Did you know we have a youtube channel?
We have hundreds of simple and delicious recipes that your family will love. Each recipes is tried and true. We take you through each one and show you how to make it, step by step.
Looking for more healthy snack recipes?
- Skinny No Bake Coconut Bars
- Skinny Frozen Strawberry Bites
- Skinny Banana Split
- Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Whole Wheat Lemon Zucchini Bread
- Chocolate Banana Blender Muffins
Healthy Whole Wheat Banana Muffins Recipe
- 5 ripe bananas mashed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup cinnamon applesauce
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2¾ cups whole wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mash bananas.
- Beat together eggs and mix with bananas.
- Add applesauce, maple syrup, olive oil and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- Add baking powder, baking soda, salt and flour and mix until combined.
- Fill each cupcake liner 2/3 of the way full or use a large cookie scoop to place batter in cups.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until set on the inside and golden brown on top.
- You could easily make this recipe with all purpose flour. It is a little different when it comes to taste and texture.
- Muffin Tin
- Cupcake Liners
- Large Bowl
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Six Sisters’ Stuff COPYCAT COOKING <—– Click here to order!