Boy, do we love this Instant Pot chicken and dumplings recipe. With it cooked in the Instant Pot, it makes for an easy dinner idea that everyone enjoys.
What I love about chicken and dumplings is that you can get all of your protein and veggies in one meal and not compromise on taste. This is the best Instant Pot chicken and dumplings recipe because it cooks everything to perfection.
So, if you like a good creamy, we’ll spiced, chicken and dumplings recipe this is the one you need to make. Even your pickiest eaters will devour it.
If you want to round out this meal even more pair it with our Instant Pot green beans, easy homemade rolls, and then an easy 5 minute jello salad for dessert! But if you don’t feel like making those, I promise the dumplings will fill everyone up!
Ingredients You’ll Need For Our Easy Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings Recipe:
- Olive oil
- Diced onion
- Diced celery
- Diced carrots
- Russet potatoes chopped
- Garlic cloves
- Chicken breasts
- Chicken broth
- Ground black pepper
- Poultry seasoning
- Dried sage
- Dried thyme
- Frozen peas (or mixed veggies)
- Heavy cream
- Canned buttermilk biscuits
How To Make Our Easy Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings Recipe:
Begin by getting out your Instant Pot and press the SAUTE button.
Once the inner pot is hot, pour in the olive oil and butter.
After the butter has melted, add the onion and celery to the inner pot and let them saute for a few minutes.
Next, add in the carrots and potatoes and let those cook for another couple of minutes.
Now, add in the minced garlic and let it cook for one minute, and then scrape down the bottom of the inner pot to keep the cooked bits from burning.
Add the chicken breasts and 2 cups of chicken broth and continue to scrape down the pot again.
Then season the vegetables with salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, sage, and thyme, and let them cook until they become fragrant.
Now you will need to press the CANCEL button, place the lid on the Instant Pot and press the PRESSURE COOK or MANUAL button and turn the valve to the SEALING position and set the timer for 15 minutes.
While the Instant Pot is doing its thing, roll each canned biscuit flat and cut them into 6 equal pieces and when you’re done doing it to all the biscuits set them aside.
Once the Instant Pot timer is up, do a quick release of the pressure, once the pin drops, remove the lid.
Add in the remaining 2 cups of chicken broth and then place the sliced biscuits carefully on top of the liquid, try to spread them out as much as possible.
When they are in pot, place the lid back on and the Instant Pot and press the CANCEL button, and then press the PRESSURE COOK or MANUAL button again and set the timer for 10 more minutes.
Be sure to turn the valve to the SEALING position again.
When the Instant Pot is done cooking, do another quick release of the pressure and then remove the lid.
Now add in the heavy cream and frozen peas and carefully stir it all together.
Let the mixture sit for a couple of minutes to let it thicken up and heat up the peas and then serve it, seasoning it with salt and pepper as needed.
To Make This Instant Pot Dumplings Recipe You Will Need:
- Instant Pot (THIS is a great one!)
- Cutting board
- Rolling pin
- Wooden Spatula
- Liquid measuring cup
Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits
Everyone needs a good buttermilk biscuits recipe and I have the perfect one for you! Sally’s Baking Addiction has a wonderful homemade buttermilk biscuits recipe that you need try out.
You can even use a homemade buttermilk biscuit in place of the canned biscuits for this dumplings recipe. The flavors will be elevated even more!
Want More Easy Dinner Ideas?
Join our email list today and we will send you a FREE ebook of our favorite dinner recipes – plus we will send you recipes each week to help make your dinner planning easier!
Join today by CLICKING HERE.
Have you checked out our YouTube channel? We show you how to make our favorite recipes right in our own kitchens!
Our newest cookbook is all about Pressure Cooking. If you love our Instant Pot recipes, this is the cookbook for you!
Each simple and delicious recipe contains clear instructions for prep and specific pressure cooking times from start to ready-to-serve.
Order your copy today!
INSTANT COOKING with Six Sisters’ Stuff <—– Click here to order!
Here is All the Instant Pot Chicken Recipes You Will Need:
- Instant Pot Chicken and Gravy Recipe
- Instant Pot Chicken Pot Pie and Biscuits Recipe
- Instant Pot Chicken Carnitas Recipe
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortellini and Vegetable Soup Recipe
- Instant Pot Chicken Sloppy Joes Recipe
Easy Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 cup celery diced, (2 stalks)
- 1 cup carrots diced, (about 2 or 3 carrots)
- 1 large russet potato chopped
- 3 large cloves of garlic pressed or minced (about 1 Tbsp)
- 1½ pounds chicken breasts cut in slightly larger than bite sized pieces
- 4 cups chicken broth divided
- 1 teaspoon salt (more or less to taste)
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ½ teaspoon dried sage
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup frozen peas (or mixed vegetables)
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 6 jumbo canned buttermilk refrigerator biscuits (a 16 ounce package contains 8, but you will only need 6 of them)
- Press the SAUTE button on the Instant Pot.
- When the pot is hot, add the olive oil and the butter.
- Add the onion and celery to the pot and saute for a few minutes. Add in the carrots and potatoes, stir.
- Add in the garlic. Cook for 1 minute, scraping the bottom of the pot to get up any brown bits (deglaze).
- Add chicken and 2 cups of chicken broth and continue to scrape the bottom of the pot again (to deglaze it to keep it from burning).
- Season with salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, sage, and thyme. Cook for a few seconds to let the spices become fragrant.
- Place the Instant Pot lid on top, move the valve to SEALING, press the PRESSURE COOK or MANUAL button and set timer for 15 minutes.
- While food is cooking, prepare your biscuits. Roll each canned biscuit flat and cut into 6 equal pieces. Do this to all 6 biscuits and set aside (you can also just cut them and not roll them flat).
- When cooking time is done, do a QUICK RELEASE of the pressure and remove the lid.
- Dump in the remaining 2 cups of chicken broth and then add the sliced biscuits into the pot.
- Carefully place the cut biscuits on top of the liquid in the pot, spreading them out as best as you can. Once all your biscuits are in the pot, DO NOT mix it all together – leave the biscuits sitting on top of the liquid.
- Press the CANCEL button.
- Place the lid on the pot and lock in place. Turn the valve to SEALING. Press the PRESSURE COOK or MANUAL button and set the timer for 10 minutes.
- When the cooking cycle has finished, do a QUICK RELEASE.
- Open the lid and carefully stir in the frozen peas and heavy cream. Let it sit for a minute or two so that it thickens up and then taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
- You can even use a homemade buttermilk biscuit in place of the canned biscuits for this dumplings recipe.
- Instant Pot
- Cutting Board
- Rolling Pin
- Wooden Spatula
- Liquid Measuring Cup
If you made our recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram so we can see your hard work using #sixsistersstuff.