Slow Cooker Creamy Macaroni and Cheese

Slow Cooker Macaroni and Cheese on SixSistersStuff

I know that some people really don’t like macaroni and cheese (especially the kind the comes in the blue box), but I have to be honest . . . it really is one of my favorite foods of all time. I love gourmet homemade versions and I love the easy versions that can be made in your microwave in 3 1/2 minutes that only require you to add water.

I know that some of your are probably totally disgusted right now. Sorry. :)
Anyway, the kids wanted chicken nuggets for dinner and I decided that I would attempt to make a simple mac and cheese. I started looking all over the internet and was scared of some of the reviews that I read- lots of people had problems with the cheese curdling. Knowing my luck, I knew that would happen to me!
I probably read over 20 different recipes and settled on this one that I found at Repeat Crafter Me because she seemed to know what she was talking about and her picture looked yummy. :) I followed her directions and 2 hours later, this dish was done. And about 30 seconds after that, it was completely devoured by my family (adults and kids alike!). It was quick, easy, and incredibly delicious. I don’t know if I will ever make any other version of mac & cheese again!

5.0 from 1 reviews
Slow Cooker Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 6
My kids' favorite version of mac and cheese - it's so creamy and delicious!
  • 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 2½ cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
  • ½ cup sour cream
  • 1 (10.75 oz) can condensed cheddar cheese soup
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup milk (I used 1%)
  • ½ teaspoon dry mustard
  • ½ teaspoon black pepper
  1. Boil the macaroni in water for six minutes and drain.
  2. In a medium saucepan, mix butter and cheese. Heat over medium high heat and stir until the cheese melts.
  3. Spray your slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. Combine cheese mixture, sour cream, soup, salt, milk, mustard and pepper in your slow cooker. Add the drained macaroni and stir again.
  4. Cook on low for 2 to 2½ hours, stirring occasionally (I cooked mine for about 2 hours and stirred it twice and it was perfect).

Equipment needed:

Recipe source: Repeat Crafter Me

Check out all three of our cookbooks here:

Looking for more kid-approved recipes?
Like It? Share it!

If you enjoyed this post please consider sharing it with a friend

Family recipes, fun ideas, home projects & so much more!

Sign up for our free email newsletter and never miss another great recipe or tutorial.

• bev says

I like this because you can take the crock pot to a picnic and keep it warm. Don’t leave plugged up too long or it will dry out. It’s also nice to be able to put in slow cooker 2 hours before company arrives and that leaves time to do other prep for guests.

• Jen says

My husband and daughter (15months) absolutely love this. Last time I added more macaroni which made it a little less creamy. I liked it better that way, but my husband gave me attitude for messing with “the perfect mac’n’cheese”. I have a feeling that I will have to make this at least once every other week.

• Cyd says

Hi Mari, we have never had that happen. I was reading over the comments from other viewers and this is a great helpful suggestion: A few tips for even creamier Mac and Cheese, we use extra sour cream closer to a cup. And because I love watching Rachael Ray she always puts a coffee cup size of starchy cooking water from the cooked noodles into a recipe I do that as well with this mac and cheese. It keeps the mac and cheese from drying out and makes it a bit more creamier.
        ***Might be worth trying! :)

I am curious to know why you would need to put it in a crock pot and take 2 hours to cook it when you have already messed up a pan to cook the pasta?? Why not go ahead and cook it in the same pan?? It would be finished in less than 20 minutes and not have to wash the crock pot. Maybe I am missing something.

Thanks for the recipe, this turned out great! I’ll have to cut down on the calories next time but it was a winner for sure and I love how I was able to prep it while my kids were napping along with some oven baked BBQ ribs and that allowed me to spend time with the kids during the hour I’m normally slaving in the kitchen!

• Mo says

I have tried the Paula Deen recipe and this is definitely not it, unless she has a different one I haven’t run across yet. Her’s uses eggs and it comes out tasting like a macaroni omelette, yuck! This one gets rave reviews from my kids.

• KimM says

This is not Deen’s recipe as her’s includes eggs, which leaves the final result tasting like a macaroni omelette…yuck. This version is really good and gets rave reviews from my kids. Thank you Six Sisters for sharing this.

• ChickE says

This is NOT the Paula Deen recipe, though it is similar. I made the Paula Deen recipe last week and was unhappy with the curdled consistency and thought I would try something like this recipe, that has no eggs in it to see if that made the difference. This recipe turns out smooth and creamy, just the way my teenage boys like it.
      I appreciate the comments of those who have actually made the recipe. I don’t understand why people feel the need to comment on a recipe they have not made.

• says

Just click on the “Magic” button under the picture and it will give you all of the nutritional information and facts. This is our new sister site – It has so many FUN features. Stop by and check it out. Add some recipes too. You don’t have to have a blog to add recipes and make money. Anyone can do it!!!!

I am also wondering how many it feeds. I am making it for a party, so I think I need to double it. Not sure if it will still fit in my crock pot. What size slow cooker did you use and does the recipe fill it up? Thanks!

4. MasonsMommy says

I have made this frequently and even went on New Day Cleveland to make it. Instead of dirtying another pan I just pour the hot macaroni over the butter and cheese and stir. Makes it even easier.

• pancrat says

Excellent suggestion! I was trying to figure out how to skip that extra dirty pan. If the hot macaroni doesn’t do it, I bet you could microwave on low for a bit just to melt the butter as well.

5. Sarah M says

I made this in a 4 quart crock pot. Everyone absolutely loved this recipe. My sister-in-laws kids went crazy over them. They called them “Bojangles” mac n cheese. I’ll take their word for it since I’ve never been to one. I’ve made quite a few crock pot mac n cheese recipes and this one is the best! A definite keeper! Make this…you won’t be disappointed.

6. KLam says

I have tried several Mac & Cheese crockpot recipes and NONE even begin to compare to this! My family loved it so much when I made it for Father’s Day, that they’ve requested it again for the 4th of July! Easy & scrumptious!

7. Julie says

I made this last night and it was great. My only questions is why melt the cheese and butter separately? It stayed kind of rubbery until it had cooked in the crock pot for about 1.5 hours and then it was nice and gooey. Wondering if it’s possible to just add the melted butter and shredded cheese into the crock.

• Laurie Scheller says

Glad to see someone else’s was a rubbery glob of cheese. I have it in the crockpot for dinner now hope it comes out ok. I am sure my Mac & cheese loving children will eat no matter what.

• Lisa says

I had the same issue with “globiness”. I just grabbed my immersion blender, and added the cheese glob and remaining ingredients (except pasta) to the slow cooker and blended away with the stick blender until smooth. Worked great! Then added cooked pasta and finished as directed. Turned out perfect!

8. Jenny B says

We *love* this recipe! Made it for my sister’s 40th birthday party along with pulled pork and a chicken tray and it was a total hit! There were mostly adults at the party and we didn’t think the mac and cheese would get eaten, but the whole crock got devoured… and we *tripled* the recipe! I have a 6-qt. crock pot and it just fits when you triple it. Even when I make it for my family of six I triple the recipe because we love the leftovers! One of the best slow cooker recipes out there!

9. Helen P says

I have never made Mac & Cheese from scratch before and I have to tell you, this recipe is GREAT! I made this last night for a family BBQ and everyone loved it. There were no leftovers!

10. deb m says

This was fantastic! I made this last night as a side dish for a family gathering and it nearly caused a riot. So creamy and delicious and EASY! I may never make the old-fashion type again! I doubled the recipe (everything except the sour cream since I didn’t have enough) and it fed 9 adults with a small amount leftover. They all wanted the recipe before they left! Thanks so much. This is a new family favorite.

11. Lindsey says

Hi girls!! I made this last night without the crock pot- my work schedule is crazy and I needed it cooked right then! I followed the recipe exactly and then popped it into an 8×8 dish and baked it at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. It was perfect!!!! I love this recipe! I will never use the blue box again!

• Amanda says

I was wondering the same thing. The less prep I need to do the better :)
      Most mac and cheese crock pot recipes I’ve seen use uncooked macaroni (but don’t look or sound as delicious as this one), so I’m going to try it that way this evening. I will let you know how it turns out

• Cyd says

Just click on the MAGIC button under the picture. Then click on NUTRITION. This will give you servings and all nutritional info on this recipe. This is our new sister site, Great place to find thousands of great recipes. Hope you’ll stop by!

12. Kensgaltami says

Made this for a family crockpot get together last night(10 adults and 5 children). Doubled it and there was absolutely none left! Everyone loved it. It turned out creamy and delicious prepared just as written! It was the only thing my grandson would eat.

13. Sarah says

not the best mac n cheese….. i think its a great start. using just cheddar cheese leaves the palate with a not so pleasant after taste. The next I will make this I’m going to add some gruyere.

14. Sam says

So excited to make this! I wanted to kick it up a bit and add some jalapeño and bacon. Any advice on when I should add this to the crockpot? At the beginning, or maybe 20-30 minutes at the end? Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!

15. Miranda says

I have made this at least 3 times. I should say up front that I have used plain greek yogurt in place of the sour cream all three times. It seems, if I cook it past an hour it starts to get dry (on a setting of 4 hour cook time). The consistency seems to look a bit curdled. My daughters school has asked that I bring in a 9 X 13 pan of Mac and Cheese. And since this is the only kind I’ve ever made, are there any suggestions on how I can keep this creamy? I don’t expect it to seem truly “creamy”, just more similar to oven baked mac and cheese. Any suggestions on making enough to fill up a 9 x 13 foil pan?? And any help on the texture?

• Cyd says

We have only made this recipe with sour cream. Hope it works out well for you. We have some more slow cooker Mac N Cheese recipes on our new sister site – Just type in Mac and cheese in the search bar. Best of luck to you!

• Krystal says

We love this recipe. I follow it to a T. I cook it on low usually for 2 hours. (or as close to that as i can before I give into the smell and gobble it) and stir maybe every 15-30 minutes (kind of whenever I remember to) I would guess that the yogurt is the problem, or maybe not stirring it up?

• Cyd says

This recipe serves around 8 to 10 people depending on the serving size. You would need to 5 times the recipe. I would round up some crock pots from your friends and family. You don’t want to fill the crock pot to the top. Just watch it carefully that it cooks all the way through and doesn’t burn.

16. Ashley says

I just wanted to say, that I’ve been looking for the perfect mac & cheese recipe for YEARS. I came across this recipe half a year ago and it is the recipe that I’ve been looking for. It’s so creamy and rich. It just makes me so happy. Mac & cheese is my favorite food, so I am in heaven when I eat this. Thank you SO much for making such an awesome and delicious recipe.

17. Stephanie says

I made this recipe last night as a trial run (I am bringing this to our family Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow!) and it was wonderful. Thanks so much for sharing. My question is…when I make this tomorrow there will be about a 2 hour window between the time it’s done and the time it’s eaten, and I don’t want it to get clumpy during the drive there. Anything I can do to keep it creamy a couple hours after ready? Suggestions? Thanks again.

18. indy says

Guess I am the odd woman out – why wait 2 1/2 hours after making all that mess? Seems crazy. :)
    Cook the pasta – drain – stir the butter and cheese back in the same pot with hot pasta. Add a little milk, salt and peppery – dry mustard if you want. ready to eat or pour in casserole dish and bake about 20 minutes until brown on top / some like bread crumbs or parmesan on top. Cheese soup? gag! NEVER!
    out of the pot = thing to clean up – baked – = two things to wash. Keep it simple. When I bake it add little extra milk or half and half for creamier style…..’

19. christina says

I am making this for a potluck tomorrow. I am using a 6qt crockpot. I need to make a very FULL crockpot of this lol. Is your recipe still go for that would you say? We have like 70-100 employees! Of course we are going to have plenty of sides but I want to make sure it’s a full crockpot of M & C! Also I have about a 30-40 min drive before I get to work. Once this is done, will it be okay for the drive before I can get it inside work and keep it on warm? or is that not a good idea? 1 other question is what about cooking this on high for little over an hour instead of low for 2? I already wake up at 430am I really don’t wanna wake up that much earlier lol. But I don’t want it to get mushy or ruin before I even get to work! Please help!

20. Lauren says

We LOVE this recipe in our house, my sister now makes it and my mother in law is making it as well this Christmas. Its a great recipe to make when camping which we do a lot in the summer. A few tips for even creamier Mac and Cheese, we use extra sour cream closer to a cup. And because I love watching Rachael Ray she always puts a coffee cup size of starchy cooking water from the cooked noodles into a recipe I do that as well with this mac and cheese. It keeps the mac and cheese from drying out and makes it a bit more creamier.

21. Jen says

Thanks for sharing this recipe! I made it for my boyfriend’s family for Christmas and it was a hit. I was kinda weary that the condensed cheese soup would give it a kind of “artificial” taste but it didn’t at all. :)

22. Madeleine says

I have used this recipe on numerous occasions now, with one exception, I use a 12 ounce bag of noodles. It has been a huge hit at church functions, birthday parties, etc! My kids were tired of craft macaroni, but I love Mac n cheese, so I starting searching for an alternative, found this recipe, my kids love it! Thanks so much, you saved my life! 😉

23. Stephanie says

Is the dry mustard necessary? Any substitution recommendations if so? My store didn’t carry dry mustard ( its a small, local, “only shop there when needed” store, otherwise drive 20 miles to the nearest Walmart.)

24. mom2_6girlz says

Made this for the family tonight for the first time. I doubled the recipe and it was devoured! We liked this way better than our traditional baked Mac n Cheese. This will definitely be our new go to recipe. Thank you for sharing!!!

25. Lisa says

I love making this! It’s so good. My husband and sister raved about how good it is! I’m actually going to make this for my daughter’s birthday party. I was wondering how many serving this recipe is for? I’m making it for 35 people.

• Cyd says

It serves about 8 to 10 people. Depends on the serving size. So if it’s young children you may get a few more servings out of it! Thanks so much for stopping by our blog! Good luck with the party! Sounds fun!! :)

26. Kira says

I made this a month ago and it was absolutely delicious!! I was never a boxed mac and cheese fan…or even a mac and cheese fanatic. However, my husband is a HUGE love of mac and cheese. I decided to give this recipe a try. WOW! This is so yummy! If I could, I would eat this everyday! My husband LOVES this mac and cheese and its become a request for both lunch and dinner almost daily. He won’t let me cook the blue box mac and cheese anymore – he only wants this mac and cheese. I’m a fan, my hubby is a fan and my family is a fan! Thank you so much for this recipe. It has quickly become our favorite mac and cheese dish.

• Cyd says

Hi Teresa, Just click on the MAGIC button under the picture, then click on NUTRITION. This will give you all the nutritional info on our recipes. It’s our sister site, It’s a great place to search for delicious recipes. Over 30,000 recipes out there!

27. Kalyn says

Do you think there is any way to cook this in the crockpot way longer? I leave home at 7am and don’t get back until 5 or 6pm most weekdays. Do you have any suggestions for cooking this longer? More liquid? My crockpot can be set to cook on low and then change to warm after any number of hours that I set.

• Cyd says

Hi Kalyn! This recipe cooks for 2 to 2 1/2 hours on low. Stretching it our to 10 or 11 hours probably wouldn’t work very well. I’m afraid it would be burned or very mushy. You can always make it the night before and then reheat before eating. We have never experimented stretching the cooking time to that length. Let us know if you get brave and how it all turns out. I just don’t want your ingredients to go to waste if it doesn’t work. Thanks so much for stopping by our blog! Have a great day!

• Cyd says

Condensed Cheddar Cheese Soup Substitute

3 tablespoons butter
      3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
      1 cup milk
      1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
      salt, to taste

Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat; add flour and whisk until smooth and bubbly. Remove from heat; gradually add milk, whisking to keep smooth. Return to heat and bring to a gentle boil, whisking constantly until thickened. Add cheese and stir until melted. Add salt.

28. Karen Fry says

This is so, so good! I have made this mac n cheese several times since finding it and each time it has turned out creamy and cheesy. My family and co-workers absolutely love it! It is so easy to make and have found it usually only takes 2 hours to make. Since I get off work at four, I can put this together and we will still be eating by 6:30. So glad I found this recipe.

…Hello, I would like to make this for a Christmas Eve dinner that we are going to and was wondering if the Six Sisters or any or the commenters that made this already used the already shredded cheddar cheese in the bag or did you shred your own cheddar cheese? I had read once that the already shredded cheese in a bag has an extra ingredient to prevent clumping and that it makes a difference in recipes. Please let me know and thank you! :o)

…Happy Holidays to you & yours!

…Peace & blessings.

30. Mindy says

Still in the crock pot with 40 minutes left (I put in for 2 1/2 hrs) but the kids were starving so I scooped out a bowl for my picky 2 year old (especially about his mac and cheese…only Kraft original for this one) and my almost as equally picky 5 year old. They are both devouring it right now. They love it!!! Will definitely make it again. I added 1 cup of sour cream instead of 1/2 cup and poured in about 1/2 cup more milk after an hour when I stirred it. Thanks for the great recipe! (I didn’t have the dry mustard and used bagged shredded mild cheddar and it still tastes great)

31. April says

I would like to make this for a pot luck tomorrow. Do you suggest making the night before, putting in fridge, and then reheating (how many minutes before the pot luck starts)? Any substitutes for mustard and also can we use whole milk?

• Cyd says

You will be fine to just leave the dry mustard out if you don’t like it. You can definitely use whole milk. That should make it creamy. You just need to be sure it is heated through and thickens up a bit. 2 hours in the slow cooker was just right. If you are starting out with it really cold, it may take a little longer to cook. Just watch it closely.

32. Stephanie says

I doubled this recipe for a get-together and it was a hit! I used 4 cups sharp cheddar and 1 cup regular cheddar, and I also toasted some panko bread crumbs in a tablespoon of butter on the stove and sprinkled on top before serving. Thanks!!

33. Tina says

I have made this a few times and I follow the recipe exactly. It tastes great but it always comes out gritty. Is there something I am doing wrong? Any suggestions on making it more creamy and less gritty?

• Cyd says

We haven’t had any problems with it being gritty. You could use a little extra sour cream closer to a cup. We have also heard of using a few tablespoons of the starchy cooking water from the cooked noodles in the recipe. It keeps the mac and cheese from drying out and makes it a bit more creamier.