So I recently joined a freezer meal group in my neighborhood- once a month we will be getting together and each person prepares 5 meals of the same freezer meal. We then swap meals, sending each lady home with 5 different meals, ready to eat in a matter of minutes! Brilliant!
So here is my recipe for this month:
- 1 pound dry ziti pasta (or really any kind of pasta would work- I actually used Penne pasta)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 pound lean ground beef (season with pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and minced garlic)
- 2 (26 ounce) jars spaghetti sauce (I added a zucchini to my sauce just for more veggies!)
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add ziti pasta, and cook until al dente, about 7-8 minutes; drain.
- In a large skillet, brown onion and ground beef over medium heat. Add spaghetti sauce, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray 2 8x8 inch pans with non-stick cooking spray. Layer as follows in each pan: 1/4 of the ziti, 1/4 of the sauce, 4 slices of Provolone cheese, 1/2 of sour cream, 1/4 of ziti, 1/4 mozzarella cheese and 1/4 of sauce mixture. Top with grated Parmesan cheese and remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake covered for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cheeses are melted.
You can eat one for dinner now and freeze the other for dinner another day!
These fill the 8x8" pans to the top, so I cooked mine on a large cookie sheet just in case they bubbled over (which they did!).
This was definitely a keeper . . . my whole family devoured it (even the kids!)!!
**If you are preparing this for a large group, you can use a DEEP 9x13" pan, but be aware that it will fill it all the way to the top!