A few weeks ago my husband and I traveled to the beautiful Turks and Caicos Beaches Resort. It is an all inclusive resort and it really was one of the best vacations I have ever been on.
I had never been to an all inclusive resort before and I don’t know if I can ever go back to just plain resorts Haha.
They had the best food and the best drinks I have eaten (and because it was all inclusive… NO TIPS EVER).
One night we went to a fancy restaurant and they served us a small sample of sweet potato soup. It was the best soup I had ever eaten.
I knew I had to try and make it when I got home. My sweet potato soup doesn’t taste exactly like the one in Turks and Caicos, but it sure tastes delicious.
If you are looking for a quick, simple and delicious dinner recipe, this Sweet Potato Soup is highly recommended. It’s so simple to make and tastes amazing.
Here are some of the pictures. Oh how I miss it. And if you are wondering, the water is really that blue. We highly recommend taking a trip there on day. If it’s not on your bucket list, it needs to be.
what is the difference between a yam and a sweet potato?
This is a commonly asked question. People often don’t know which ones to use when it comes to baking. I myself, had no idea what the difference was. I did a little research and found out that you most likely have never had a yam.
Yams and sweet potatoes are both a tuberous root vegetable, however Yams are grown in parts of Asia and Africa.
The deeper copper colored sweet potatoes are often referred to as yams because they have the soft outside and sweeter skin, like a true yam.
Sweet potatoes, with a lighter skin and inside, have a harder skin. This is how they differentiate the two at grocery stores. Both the orange and yellow sweet potatoes, are actually sweet potatoes, although label differently at the store.
Mind blown. I know.
watch how to make the perfect side dish to dip in the soup, here:
Did you know we have a Youtube Channel? We have hundreds of simple and delicious recipes, your family is going to love. We take you through each recipe, step by step, and show you exactly how to make them.
I love dipping bread in my soup and this Easy Cheesy Garlic Bread is perfect for dipping. It is so easy to make and tastes amazing. Watch how simple it is to prepare, here:
looking for more soup recipes? here are a few of our favorite:
- Skinny White Bean Chicken Chili
- Instant Pot Lasagna Soup
- Instant Pot Cream Cheese Chili
- Slow Cooker Healthy King Ranch Chicken Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Disneyland’s Loaded Potato Soup
Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can white navy beans
- 5 teaspoons minced garlic
- ½ cup whipping cream
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- cayenne pepper to taste
- garlic salt to taste
- ½ cup croutons optional
- 4 green onions sliced (optional)
- Heat water on the stove in a large stock pot until it boils. Scrub your sweet potatoes, peel them, and cut them into cubes. Put them in the pot and let them boil until soft.
- Once they are soft, drain the sweet potatoes and put them into a blender. Add 2 cups of broth, navy beans, and garlic also into the blender. Blend until smooth.
- Scrape the sweet potato mixture back into the stock pot. Pour in the rest of the broth and whipping cream into the pot and cook it on medium high heat until it simmers.
- Add lemon, sea salt, cayenne, and garlic salt to add some extra flavor. Simmer for about 2 minutes and serve warm.
- Serve with croutons and green onions in desired. It's also delicious without toppings.
Looking to eat healthier? Sign-up to receive a healthy menu plan and shopping list in your inbox every week!
EACH HEALTHY MENU PLAN INCLUDES:
- A WEEK AT A GLANCE
- 6 MAIN DISH RECIPES
- 2 SIDE DISH RECIPES
- 1 SNACK/TREAT RECIPE
- DETAILED SHOPPING LIST
Every recipe in the menu plan is 500 calories or less per serving and includes nutrition information to help you stay on track!
Learn more, view sample menu plans and join HERE!