Our mom made this Frog Eye Salad growing up and it was always a hit at parties and potlucks.
It has the perfect amount of sweet and fruity flavor to it. It’s incredibly easy to make, and is the ideal side dish for any occasion.
If you are looking for a quick, simple, and delicious salad recipe, this is one you most definitely have to try.
Below is a list of things you need for this delicious frog eye salad recipe:
Frog Eye Salad Recipe Ingredients:
- Acini De Pepe Pasta
- Pineapple juice
- Lemon Juice
- Mandarin Oranges
- Pineapple Tidbits
- Crushed Pineapple
- Miniature Marshmallows
- Cool Whip
A few items you will need to make this recipe:
- Stock Pot (THIS one is great for cooking your pasta)
- Mixing Bowl (You will love THIS 7 piece set)
How to make frog eye salad:
Making Frog Eye salad takes a few simple ingredients found in your fridge and pantry.
Cook the Acini De Pepe pasta according to package directions. When done, rinse under cold water in strainer. Let cool. You may want to use a fork to stir the noodles a bit, or else they will get a little clumped together. To prevent this, a lot of the directions explain to add a little bit of salt to the noodles when boiling.
- In a saucepan over medium high heat stir together pineapple juice, sugar, flour, salt and egg. Cook and stir constantly until mixture thickens and is smooth.
This process may take about 5-7 minutes before you really see it thicken. You don’t want it to come to a roaring boil, but just until the mixture has obviously thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice. Let cool, and set aside. You will want to remove it from the stove, because even if it is off, the heat is still getting to it, taking it longer to cool down.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the pasta and thickened mixture. You will want to be sure both the mixture and noodles have completely cooled, or they will melt your cool whip, and make your salad runny.
- Gently fold in the mandarin oranges, crushed pineapple, pineapple tidbits, marshmallows and coconut. You will then fold in cool whip. Continue to fold until fully combined.
- Refrigerate until serving. This recipe makes quite a bit, but can easily be doubled. You may want a second bowl, or use an extremely large bowl, if you plan to double.
Helpful items used in this Frog Eye Salad recipe
- 3 Quart Saucepan – We love this pan for boiling pasta.
- Mixing Bowl Set – This mixing bowl set is so pretty you can serve your salad in it too.
- Spatula – A great spatula set for stirring and folding in ingredients.
- Electric Can Opener – This electric can opener will help make your life so much easier! 🙂
Have you heard about our restaurant copycat cookbook?
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Six Sisters’ Stuff COPYCAT COOKING <—– Click here to order!
Love cooking as much as we do? Join our FREE private Facebook Group: Six Sisters’ Dinner Club!
Looking for more salad recipes? Here are a few of our favorites:
- Winter Cranberry Apple Salad
- 5 Minute Pistachio Salad
- Cucumber Salad
- Skinny Chicken Salad Sandwiches
- The Best Homemade Pasta Salad
Mom’s Frog Eye Salad Recipe
- 8 ounces Acini De Pepe pasta
- 1 cup pineapple juice (reserved from pineapple tidbits)
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg beaten
- ½ Tablespoon lemon juice
- 22 ounces mandarin oranges drained
- 20 ounces pineapple tidbits 1 can, (drained and reserve juice)
- 8 ounces crushed pineapple 1 can, drained
- 1½ cups miniature marshmallows
- ¾ cup shredded coconut
- 8 ounces cool whip 1 container
- Cook the Acini De Pepe pasta according to package directions. When done, rinse under cold water in strainer. Let cool.
- In a saucepan over medium high heat stir together pineapple juice, sugar, flour, salt and egg. Cook and stir constantly until mixture thickens and is smooth. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice. Let cool.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the pasta and thickened mixture.
- Then gently fold in the mandarin oranges, pineapple tidbits, crushed pineapple, marshmallows and coconut. Fold in Cool Whip.
- Refrigerate until serving.
- This recipe can easily be doubled.
- Store covered in refrigerator.
- Large Mixing Bowl
DID YOU KNOW WE HAVE A YOUTUBE CHANNEL?
We have hundreds of simple and delicious meals, your family will love. You have you covered from appetizers to dessert.
We take you through each recipe, step by step, and show you exactly how to make it. Each Recipe is tried and true, so you know even your picky eaters will love it.