Our mom made this Frog Eye Salad growing up and it was always a hit at parties and potlucks.
It has the perfect amount of sweet and fruity flavor to it. It’s incredibly easy to make, and is the ideal side dish for any occasion.
If you are looking for a quick, simple, and delicious salad recipe, this is one you most definitely have to try.
If you like this Frog Eye Salad you might also like our 5 Minute Jello Salad, Raspberry Jello Salad, or our Orange Fluff Jello Salad!
how to make frog eye salad:
Making Frog Eye salad takes a few simple ingredients found in your fridge and pantry.
- Cook the Acini De Pepe pasta according to package directions. When done, rinse under cold water in strainer. Let cool. You may want to use a fork to stir the noodles a bit, or else they will get a little clumped together. To prevent this, a lot of the directions explain to add a little bit of salt to the noodles when boiling.
- In a saucepan over medium high heat stir together pineapple juice, sugar, flour, salt and egg. Cook and stir constantly until mixture thickens and is smooth.
This process may take about 5-7 minutes before you really see it thicken. You don’t want it to come to a roaring boil, but just until the mixture has obviously thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice. Let cool, and set aside. You will want to remove it from the stove, because even if it is off, the heat is still getting to it, taking it longer to cool down.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the pasta and thickened mixture. You will want to be sure both the mixture and noodles have completely cooled, or they will melt your cool whip, and make your salad runny.
- Gently fold in the mandarin oranges, crushed pineapple, pineapple tidbits, marshmallows and coconut. You will then fold in cool whip. Continue to fold until fully combined.
- Refrigerate until serving. This recipe makes quite a bit, but can easily be doubled. You may want a second bowl, or use an extremely large bowl, if you plan to double.
helpful items used in this recipe
- 3 Quart Saucepan – We love this pan for boiling pasta.
- Mixing Bowl Set – This mixing bowl set is so pretty you can serve your salad in it too.
- Spatula – A great spatula set for stirring and folding in ingredients.
- Electric Can Opener – This electric can opener will help make your life so much easier! 🙂
have you heard about our restaurant copycat cookbook?
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Six Sisters’ Stuff COPYCAT COOKING <—– Click here to order!
looking for more salad recipes? here are a few of our favorites:
- Winter Cranberry Apple Salad
- 5 Minute Pistachio Salad
- Cucumber Salad
- Skinny Chicken Salad Sandwiches
- The Best Homemade Pasta Salad
Be sure to not miss another recipe!
Have you seen our YouTube channel?
Did you know we have a Youtube Channel? We created it just for you. We wanted to show you how simple and delicious our recipes are.
We take you through each recipe, step by step, and show you exactly how to make it. We answer all your questions, and help you get the recipe, perfect, each and every time you make it.
If you are looking for more simple and delicious recipes, head over to our channel and check them out.
We love baking, and one of our favorite things to bake is our, Mom’s Famous Marshmallow Brownies.
Watch how to make our Mom’s Famous Marshmallow Brownies here: