The inspiration for this recipe came from a little cafe in West Yellowstone (Old Town Cafe) that served Open Faced Hot Beef Sandwiches and they were so good! I knew that I had to come home and recreate them.
Ingredients needed for these delicious Hot Beef Sandwiches:
2-3 pound beef rump roast (or any beef roast)
salt and pepper, to taste
garlic powder, to taste
onion powder, to taste
2 beef gravy mix packets (1 ounce each)
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 cups beef broth
6 thick slices of bread (for serving; I love using sourdough bread)
How to make Instant Pot Open-Faced Hot Beef Sandwiches:
- Generously season the roast on all sides with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Add the roast to the Instant Pot.
- In a bowl, mix together gravy mix packets, Worcestershire sauce, and beef broth.
- Pour gravy mixture in the bottom of the Instant Pot (try to not wash the seasonings off the roast).
- Place the lid on top of the Instant Pot. Move valve to SEALING (not venting).
- Press MANUAL (or PRESSURE COOK) button and set timer for 40 minutes for a 2 pound roast or 60 minutes for a 3 pound roast (about 20 minutes per pound of meat).
- When cooking is done, allow roast to do a natural release (at least 30 minutes – the longer you can let it sit, the better. Sometimes I will let a roast stay on KEEP WARM for a few hours).
- Remove lid and remove roast from Instant Pot, then shred using 2 forks (it should fall apart fairly easily).
- Stir the gravy left in the pot (it should have thickened up a little bit during cooking time, but if you want it to be thicker, you can mix together 1 teaspoon cornstarch and 1 teaspoon water and then add it in to the gravy and stir until it thickens up).
- To serve, place some shredded roast on top of a thick slice of bread and then top with gravy (like an open-face sandwich).