I love making banana bread when I have over-ripe bananas at the end of the week and this recipe has quickly become a family favorite. It almost tastes like a cake! The best part is that I swapped out some of the ingredients for healthier choices and my family still loved it!
Healthier Chocolate Banana Bread Recipe
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup vanilla flavored greek yogurt
- ½ cup honey
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup very ripe mashed bananas about 2 large
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips (plus more for garnish, if desired)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease and flour a 9x5-inch loaf pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, use an electric mixer to beat together the yogurt, honey, egg and vanilla.
- Add half the flour mixture into the yogurt mixture and beat on low speed while slowly pouring in half the milk. Turn mixer off, scrape down the sides with a spatula and then add remaining flour mixture to the bowl with the remaining milk.
- Stir in the mashed bananas until well combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spread batter into prepared loaf pan. Press more chocolate chips into the top of the batter before baking, if desired.
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven for about 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Let the bread cool in the pan for about 20 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 9x5 loaf pan
- Non-stick Cooking Spray
- Medium Mixing Bowl (2)