We had this Cherry Chocolate Chip Cake for a family party and it was gone in minutes.
It’s perfect for Valentine’s Day!
We love the chunks of maraschino cherries mixed in with the mini chocolate chips.
If you love cherries, you will also want to try our delicious Cherry Bing Bars , this Cherry Cheesecake Dump Cake or our Chocolate Cherry Nut Bars.
How do the chocolate chips and cherries not sink?
For this Cherry Chocolate Chip Cake recipe, we recommend, coating the chocolate chips in a little bit of the cake mix.
This will help them stick and stay in place, when combined with the cake batter mixture.
You also want your cherry bits to be pretty small. The bigger they are, the more likely they will sink.
Did you know we have a Youtube Channel?
We have hundreds of simple and delicious recipes, your family is going to love. We take you through each recipe, step by step, and show you exactly how to make them.
Looking for more cherry inspired recipes? Here are a few of our favorite:
- Chocolate Cherry Chunk Brownies
- Cherry Pie Bars
- Puff Pastry Cherry Turnovers
- Bite Size Cherry Pies
- Cherry Chocolate Nut Bars
- Creamy Cherry Whip Salad
Cherry Chocolate Chip Cake Recipe
- 1 cup mini Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 16.25 ounces white cake mix 1 box, divided
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 eggs just use egg whites
- 20 ounces maraschino cherries 2 (10 ounce) jars, divided, drain and reserve juice and chop cherries
- 1 cup butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- In a small bowl combine the chocolate chips with 1 Tablespoon of the dry cake mix. Stir until all of the chocolate chips are covered.
- In a large mixing bowl beat together the remaining cake mix, water, sour cream, vegetable oil, almond extract, and egg whites on low speed for about 30 seconds.
- Then beat on medium speed for about 2 minutes.
- Chop the cherries and be sure to pat them dry with a paper towel so they won't streak your white cake mix.
- Stir in 1 cup of the cherries and the chocolate chips into the cake batter. Then pour into the prepared pan. (Remember to reserve the juice and 15 cherries for the frosting)
- Bake for about 32-35 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in the center. Cool completely before frosting.
- Beat together the softened butter and powdered sugar until smooth. Then add in the almond extract and 1/3 cup cherry juice reserved from the cherries. Mix until well blended. If the frosting is too thick, add a little more cherry juice. If it's too runny, add in more powdered sugar. When you get to the desired consistency, stir in 15 chopped cherries that have been patted dry with a paper towel.
- Spread frosting over the cooled cake.
- Mixing Bowl
- Hand mixer
- 9 x 13 baking dish
Cake slightly adapted from tablespoon.com
Be sure to not miss another recipe!Follow Six Sisters’ Stuff on Instagram|Facebook|Pinterest|YouTube
Check out our new cookbook:
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking?
We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Six Sisters’ Stuff COPYCAT COOKING <—– Click here to order!
Questions & Reviews