Today’s recipe is all of my favorite things:
- Mexican food
- Family-friendly and picky-eater approved!
- Throw it in the freezer and pull it out on a busy night
I love this recipe and I know that your family will too!
If you haven’t ever tried ground turkey, this is the perfect recipe to try it in! You could also substitute lean ground beef or ground chicken in this recipe and it will still be delicious.
What is the difference between flautas and taquitos?
Sometimes the terms “flauta” and “taquito” are used interchangeably, but they are actually a little different.
A taquito is made with a corn tortilla and a flauta is made from a flour tortilla.
Taquitos are often made with small tortillas and served as more of an appetizer while flautas are often made with large tortillas and served as more of a main dish.
This recipe is made with flour tortillas and I served it as a main dish with salsa on the side for dipping.
I made these flautas with 6″ flour tortillas and got about 24 flautas – but you could easily use larger tortillas and stuff them with even more filling!
How to get crispy Flautas in the oven
Flautas in the oven? You may be a little skeptical! But these oven baked flautas are a healthy non-fried alternative to your favorite dish.
The trick to getting these flautas perfectly crispy is to spray them with cooking spray right before they go in the oven. The oil caramelizes giving these a crispy crunch with every bite.
How to make baked Flautas into a freezer meal
If you’re making these for just a few people, or if you’re looking to get dinner done ahead of time, you can easily turn this recipe into a freezer meal.
To do so, prepare the recipe as directed. After rolling the flautas, place them in a gallon-sized resealable freezer bag. You should be able to fit 12-15 in each bag.
Keeping the bag full will keep the flautas rolled up.
When ready to bake, remove flautas from the freezer and let them thaw in the fridge for 12 hours. You could also bake them without thawing them first – just add 5-10 minutes onto the cooking time and make sure that they heat all the way through.
Place flautas seam-side down on the baking sheet. Spray the tops of the flautas with nonstick cooking spray and sprinkle with salt.
Bake at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until the tops begin to golden. Let them cool slightly and serve with ranch or salsa.
What you’ll need to make homemade baked flautas
Oven Mitts <— These ones are our favorite and they are on sale!
Baking Sheet <— This baking sheet is large enough to fit ALL the flautas in this recipe.
Freezer Bags <— If you’re wanting to make this into a freezer meal, you’ll need the freezer bags!
Need some more delicious dinner ideas?
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Six Sisters’ Stuff COPYCAT COOKING <—– Click here to order!
Looking for more healthy ground turkey recipes? Try these:
- Honey Sriracha Ground Turkey Meatballs
- Ground Turkey Greek Tacos
- Ground Turkey Sausage Ravioli Soup
- Ground Turkey Spaghetti Sauce
- Ground Turkey Lasagna Stuffed Peppers
Baked Ground Turkey and Bean Flautas Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1¼ cups salsa divided
- 1 ounce low sodium taco seasoning 1 packet
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup corn canned, drained
- ½ cup black beans canned, drained
- 1 cup refried beans canned
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 24 Whole Wheat Flour Tortillas 6 inch
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Spray a large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute ground turkey and onion until turkey is fully cooked.
- Mix in salsa, taco seasoning and water and simmer until water has mostly cooked out.
- Mix in corn and black beans and remove from heat; set aside.
- Spread a spoonful of refried beans down the center of each tortilla.
- Top with some of the ground turkey mixture and sprinkle cheese on top.
- Roll tortillas up tightly and place on prepared baking sheet, making sure the seam side is down.
- Repeat the process with all tortillas.
- Spray the flautas with nonstick cooking spray (or lightly brush with a little olive oil) and sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the ends of the tortillas start to turn a golden brown color.
- Remove from oven and serve with one cup salsa for dipping (if desired).
- Non-stick Cooking Spray
- Baking Sheet
- Large Skillet
Recipe adapted from Yummy Healthy Easy
Have you checked out our YouTube channel?
Watch how we make our delicious Cream Cheese Chicken Taquitos!