Asian Food, Beef, Kid Approved Food, Main Dish

Korean Beef and Rice

I will be the first to admit that I am a lazy cook.
I would much rather throw a couple of ingredients in my crock pot and let it do all the work than slave over my stove top at the end of the day to get dinner ready.
When I wake up in the morning, I take a few minutes to put some stuff in the slow cooker and bam! Dinner is done!
But what happens when you forget to throw those ingredients in the slow cooker?! And 5 pm rolls around and your kids are whining because they are hungry and you are tired after a long day . . . it’s like a mom’s worst nightmare!!!!
{Please tell me that I’m not the only one this happens to!}
Well, we had this exact situation at our house the other night . . . so I jumped on Pinterest, did a quick search for “ground beef” and it pulled up this recipe. The ingredients were simple and I had all of them ready to go, so I decided to give it a whirl. I am SO happy to report that this recipe was a huge hit with the entire family and it will become a regular meal in our monthly rotation.
So if you ever find yourself in need of a quick meal that can be thrown together in one episode of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, this is the recipe for you!
Korean Beef
Ingredients:
1 lb lean ground beef
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 Tablespoon sesame oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 – 1 teaspoon crushed red peppers (depending on how spicy you like it)
salt and pepper
1 bunch green onions, diced
Rice, cooked
Heat a large skillet over medium heat and brown hamburger with garlic in the sesame oil. Drain most of the fat and add brown sugar, soy sauce, ginger, salt and pepper and red peppers. Simmer for a few minutes to blend the flavors. Serve over steamed rice and top with green onions.
Recipe slightly adapted from Lizzy Writes
Need more ground beef recipes?

MyRecipeMagic
Have you signed up to become a chef on My Recipe Magic?
Not only does it add “magic” to your recipes, but it’s the only recipe sharing site that actually PAYS you to share your recipes! So if you have a delicious recipe that everyone always asks for or a family favorite that everyone loves, share it today and make a little extra “dough”!

Comments

trying it tonight! Made extra of the sauce and served with asian noodles, broccoli, and rice. Thanks for the idea – I searched for “ground beef”.
    Katie

I’m glad I found this recipe – I’m so tired of using ground beef for spaghetti sauce or chili. I’m not a fan of Hamburger Helper type dishes, so this recipe is a fresh new idea for me.

This is really good. I will add a little onion while coking the hamburger. This has become a weekly lunch meal for us. Great for a busy day when lunch needs to be quick.

I never comment on blogs…but my boyfriend is about to purpose he loved this meal soooo much and it was SO easy & quick. Insanely good!!!!! …..and I used ground chkn, doubled the sauce and added broccoli. I’ll probably be making this every week. Thank you for the awesome recipe!!

We really liked this. I had it in romaine leaves (Korean tacos?) and everyone else had it over rice. So easy, inexpensive and tasty! Thanks :-)

This was absolutely fantastic! I used bison meat so I didn’t even have to drain any fat. Less brown sugar worked well for our taste (probably 2/3 of what is called for). I served this on top of volcano rice, shredded red/green cabbage and cilantro for a huge ‘salad’. Definitely a new favorite. My husband ate about 2/3lb of meat.

I’ve made this recipe many times, with the addition of raisins, and garnished with some shredded or shaved coconut. My family love it on a bed of basmati rice. I think that the mixture of ginger,soy sauce, garlic and brown sugar is basically the same as teriyaki sauce.

9. Cherish says

Made this for dinner tonight. Can’t WAIT to fix it again. This is SO going into my stash of Quick Meals to fix in a flash!! (I buy hamburger in bulk at Sam’s Club and cook it up before I freeze it. Then I have cooked hamburger prepared for Quick Dinners!!)

10. KA says

Good — quick and easy. Used ground turkey and added shredded carrots and zucchini and chopped water chestnuts.

11. ellen says

Yum! I made tonight and it was delish! I think I might increase the non-beef ingredients to make a yummy sauce to sop up with the rice! Otherwise I would not change a thing

12. Melissa Gill says

You just saved the day! Your scenario above? EXACTLY what i’m going through right now, except it’s 5:40 here.
    I’ve got ground beef defrosted and this is what i’m going to make! Thanks! :)

13. Beth says

This is FANTASTIC. Served it over brown rice and added some onion and diced waterchestnuts to stretch it a bit and garnished with a big handful of green onions on each bowl. Served it with kimchee which really makes the dish sing. There is a highly acclaimed restaurant here in Minneapolis which serves a very similar dish in a bowl with a soft fried egg on top. One of my husband’s favorites and this recipe makes it easy to duplicate. He loves this with beer and I like KungFu Girl Riesling from Washington State.

14. Tiffany says

This was delish! Quick and wonderful and my husband ate the whole bowl! I just got my wisdom teeth pulled 5 days ago and wanted to eat something ‘real’, this was perfect! Not too hard to handle with a sore mouth but loaded with flavor. Thanks for the wonderful recipes!

15. Iesha says

This recipe is amazing! I work full time and am a single mother of 4 .I am always looking for quick meal ideas and not only is this quick but it is delicious!! ALL of my kids absolutely loved it!! From ages 18 to 7!! Amazing! Thanks for sharing, all of your recipes look great!

16. Heather says

So good! Ground turkey worked well for this, we are out of ground beef. Added onion during the browning…Also out of green onion! Will make again, for sure.

17. Sandra says

This is so delicious! Big hit with the family. Next time I’d like to add veggies, which ones would you suggest to be added in here – just as filler. Thanks!

18. JenS says

Made this last night for dinner and it was a big hit, even with the kids. Very easy and very flavorful! Will definately be making again, maybe with 2lbs of meat in hopes for leftovers for lunch. Thanks for the recipe!

19. Linda says

I made this last night for dinner and my picky eater had 2nd’s!! Fabulous!! Thank you so much for this great recipe.

20. MaryLu says

Hi. I would love to try this recipe, and I’m planning on making it this evening. However, it would be very helpful if your “print friendly” version could be condensed to one page with a photo. One does not need the story line leading up to the recipe, I just need the recipe. I think that if you are able to make your pdf’s a bit cleaner and more concise you will attract more people. Just a tip, thanks for sharing your great recipes!

21. Christine says

We just made this as a plan B and are loving it. Thank you. Super easy to make and very tasty. Thank you for sharing the recipe.

22. anna says

I made this last night for my 2 sons & myself t hey’re a bit picky but I must say this dish was a winner they even went back for seconds. So this dish is a winner in our home. The only difference I might do for me would be I would use low sodium soy sauce..but either way this dish was easy quick & delicious ..thank you for the recipe.

23. Kim says

My family loved this, but I will definitely cut the sugar in half next time. I added vermicelli rice noodles to it and we wrapped it up in lettuce leaves. So easy!

24. Alicia says

Oooohhh my family LOVED tonight’s dinner! Thank you for a quick, easy and yummy recipe! Glad I found this website on Pinterest. So many recipes to chose from can’t wait to taste the next meal

25. jess says

This is now a household favorite. We add shredded carrots to the beef and use honey or agave syrup instead of the brown sugar.

26. Melissa says

This is really good! I forgot green onions, substituted brown sugar for plum sauce (no one needs that much sugar!) and added broccoli florets. Yum!

27. Renett says

I found this searching for recipes with ground beef. I did not have ingredients to make the typical dinners I would make. This looked easy, fast, and yummy. AND I had everything to make it. It was delicious! This is a keeper recipe that I will make again. Dinner was done in 30 min. Which made my boys happy because they were starving! :-)

28. Leigh Ann Dyer says

Tried this tonight. My hubby loved it and so did my picky 16yo son! It is a definite keeper! Thank you!!!

29. Michelle King says

Here is a version of Korean Beef I learned to make while I was living in Korea (and is always a major hit):

600g bite-sized beef chunks
    5 tbsp soya sauce (I use reduced sodium)
    2 tbsp sesame oil
    2 tbsp brown sugar
    1 heaping tbsp chopped garlic
    mixed veggies (we like onions, mushrooms, bok choy, spinach and bean sprouts)

Mix all ingredients by hand in a large bowl. Cover tightly and place in the fridge to marinate at least 3 hours (overnight works best).

When ready, cook in a large skillet, pan or wok and pour over cooked rice or rice noodles and serve. Yummy and will get even the pickiest kids to eat their veggies ;)

30. anna says

I made for my sons & mom & I & it was a winner..my sons ate every bit up the sweet with a hint of spicy from the chili peppers was perfect to the last drop. I made egg noodles for my 1 son for this dish & I used the brown sugar soy sauce & ginger just as measured in the meal & when noodles were cooked I heated up extra sauce & put cooked noodles in it & tossed..yummm!

31. Melissa says

I was skeptical of this… I’m half Korean and I grew up on this. :-) It exceeded my expectations! Will be making it again. I did make a couple tweeks. I added the green onions into the beef mixture at the end to cook it down a bit. I also made more than the recommended sauce mixture and added cornstarch to thicken it up a bit. Yummy- thank you! This doesn’t take nearly as long as the original way.

32. ohjennran says

Made this last night and it was quick, easy and everyone ate it. I added the green onion to the mix at the end. Also added some peas and carrots to get the veggies in for the kids. Will def make again. the meat was done by the time the rice cooker went off. love this kind of quick weekday meal.

33. Erin says

I made this for dinner last night and it was really good. Today I ate the leftover beef on a flour tortilla with some sriracha sauce and it was amazing!

34. julie says

My son is from Korea but only loves bulgogi and rice when we eat Korean food. When he smelled this cooking, he came into the kitchen and asked what it was. He wanted to eat it before it was even done! Thank you for this simple recipe that even my son likes.

35. StephanieB says

I make this for my family of 8 at least twice a month (I usually triple it, though). Tonight I used beef strips that were 50% off at the grocery store. It was DELICIOUS! Thanks for a great, easy, yummy dinner that my whole picky family enjoys!

36. Tara says

Using Ken’s (Steak House dressing) Asian Sesame w/Ginger and Soy can supplement those ingredients in the recipe.

37. Beth says

I made this last night for my daughter and I, using veggie crumbles instead of meat, and it came out amazing. I left out the red pepper, because all I had for sesame oil was the hot kind, and it had a lot of heat! I also used fresh ginger, and coconut palm sugar instead of brown sugar. Served it with jasmine rice and kimchi. Loved it, and will definitely make again.

38. Val from PA says

Made this last night and it was delicious! I added a bunch of peppers that a friend had given me that needed to be used up, and had to leave out the sesame oil because I was out of it, but it turned out great. Garnished it with the green onions, Sriracha sauce and some chow mein noodles and served it over brown rice. Yum! Can’t wait to make it again since it was so good and so easy and quick – just the things I look for in a weeknight meal. Thanks for sharing :)

39. Kellie says

This is really good. I didn’t have any soy sauce so I got a recipe for it from allrecipes, took it down to 1/4 cup recipe and made it right in the pan with the burger adding the other ingredients also. I also added frozen peas to my husbands and frozen chopped broccoli to mine. It was very delicious and so quick and easy. I posted it on my 2nd fb page Good Eatin (look it up and “like” the page for more recipes). This is a must try!

40. Lauren says

I just made this for the first time and it is AMAZING! I used honey in place of the brown sugar and gobbled all of it up. Thanks for the great recipe!

41. Heather @ My Overflowing Cup says

I love that this can be made with ground beef! This came recommended to me by a friend. I’m going to try it tomorrow night and pin to my Dinner Recipes board. Thanks so much!

Trackbacks