One of my biggest pregnancy cravings this time around is anything with strawberries – especially if it’s accompanied by a little Nutella. I decided to turn these cravings into a cupcake, and they were a HUGE HIT.
The base is a chocolatey cupcake filled with creamy Nutella. I topped it with strawberry buttercream frosting made with fresh strawberries and it was the perfect compliment.
Doctored Cake Mix Base
The great thing about this recipe is that we use a doctored cake mix for the base – which saves you a lot of time! We take a regular devil’s food cake mix and add sour cream, instant pudding, and vanilla to make it seem like you slaved away making these cupcakes from scratch.
How to make Nutella filled Cupcakes
- Mix together cupcake base ingredients (minus the Nutella), and bake them for 20-ish minutes – until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove them from the oven and let them cool completely. (PS – these are the cupcake liners I used.)
- When the cupcakes have completely cooled, use a melon baller (or a spoon), to carve out a small hole in each cupcake. Be sure to save the part you cut out!
- Fill each hole with a spoonful of Nutella, then replace the chocolate cupcake piece on top, pressing it down gently.
How to make strawberry buttercream frosting
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter on high speed for about 2 minutes, until it is creamy and smooth.
- Add in the powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time, until it reaches your desired consistency. I like my frosting pretty thick and keeping it’s shape, so I generally use about 5 cups.
- Add in mashed strawberries (I just mashed mine in a bowl with a fork) and vanilla, and continue to mix. Add more powdered sugar if necessary (the strawberries add extra moisture, so you may need to add more powdered sugar to reach your desired consistency). If you don’t think your frosting is “pink” enough, you can also add in a drop or two of food coloring.
- Pipe (or spread) frosting onto each cupcake, then top with a drizzle of Nutella (which is totally optional but definitely delicious), and a sliced strawberry.
More delicious recipes
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
These cupcakes don’t keep well (the Nutella in the middle will soften the cupcake), but if you do have any leftovers, you can store them in the fridge in an airtight container for a day or two.
More Nutella Recipes to try
- Nutella Cheesecake
- Nutella Hot Chocolate
- Nutella No-Bake Cookies
- Fudgy Nutella Brownies
- Nutella Banana Bread
Did you know we have a YouTube Channel?
If you love nutella, you’ll love this Nutella fruit dip, too!