This spooky seven layer dip is one of my favorite recipes to bring to any Halloween party. It is extremely simple and can be made in just a few minutes. Which is perfect, because as you know that guacamole can be a little tricky to work with I’ll share a trick about that later on. 😉
Since you can make this recipe with little time, it is also the perfect recipe to send with your kids or spouses to those last minute parties you weren’t told about in advance or might have accidentally slipped your mind.
Seven layer dip is always a hit at parties and this is a great way to make your party appetizer. Make it with your kids to have a fun activity to do. Anything with spiders is always exciting.
Everything you will need to make this spooktastic Halloween party food:
Grab these ingredients from the grocery store:
- Refried beans
- Taco seasoning mix
- Sour cream
- Shredded Colby Jack cheese
- Roma tomatoes
- Green onions
- Sliced olives
- Bag tortilla chips
While store-bought guacamole will work great for this spooky 7 layer dip recipe, you can also make up your own! If want to do that, take a look at this amazing homemade guacamole recipe from Gimme Some Oven.
Have these tools handy for this Halloween recipe:
- Small mixing bowl
- 11 inch plate
- Spatula (one like THIS works great!)
- Ziplock sandwich bag
- Plastic spiders (THESE are pretty frightful!)
Become a Chef in Your Own Kitchen!
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Make your next seven layer dip party appetizer with these easy steps!
When making this dip, combine the refried beans and taco seasoning in a small mixing bowl.
Then, take out an about 11 inch plate or serving platter and spread the bean mixture evenly across the plate, getting close to the edge.
Next, use the sour cream and spread ¾ cup over the top of the bean layer.
Then gently add the salsa as the next layer on top of the sour cream. If your salsa is quite liquid-based, drain a bit of the juice to make sure the salsa layer is sturdier.
Now, oh so carefully place dollops of guacamole on top of the salsa layer. While spreading it out try to press gently to try and avoid mixing it into the salsa.
Next, around the edge of the plate spread the grated Colby Jack cheese and then top it with the sliced olives, diced tomatoes, and sliced green onions.
Once that is done, place about ¼ cup of sour cream in a sandwich bag and cut off the tip of the corner.
Use the bag and create a web pattern on top of the guacamole and then finish it off with the spiders and your spooky 7-layer dip is ready to go!
Pro tips for making 7 layer dip:
- Make it up only an hour or so before you need it if possible. This will give little time for the guacamole to change color due to oxygenation.
- If you must make it up earlier than an hour beforehand, carefully brush a thin layer of lime juice on top of the guacamole with a pastry brush.
- To make the web pattern in a different way, make circles starting small in the center and getting bigger as they go out. Then, use a toothpick and press slightly while pulling to make a line going out to the outer edge of the plate.
Watch how to make this 7 layer dip here:
Did you know we have a Youtube Channel? We have hundreds of delicious and easy step by step recipes that you are going to love. Watch how to make this Spooky 7 Layer Halloween Dip here:
More fun Halloween recipe to spook up your party!
- Halloween Brownie Cupcakes
- Halloween Graveyard Pudding Cups Recipe
- Easy Candy Corn Fudge Recipe
- Halloween Mummy Dogs Recipe
- Melted Witch Cupcakes
Spooky 7-Layer Dip Recipe
- 16 ounces refried beans
- 1 1.25 ounce taco seasoning mix
- 1 cup sour cream divided
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup shredded colby jack cheese
- 2 roma tomatoes diced
- 5 green onions
- 3 ounces sliced olives drained
- 1 cup guacamole
- 11 ounce bag tortilla chips
- In a small bowl mix the taco seasoning with the refried beans.
- Spread the bean mixture evenly on an 11 inch plate getting close to the edge.
- Carefully spread ¾ cup of the sour cream over the bean mixture.
- Add the salsa very gently over the sour cream. If your salsa is really runny, drain off some of the liquid first.
- Apply the guacamole mixture over the salsa. I put dollops of guacamole all over and then carefully spread them together so that the salsa doesn't come through.
- Around the edge spread the grated cheese.
- Top the cheese with sliced olives, diced tomatoes, and sliced green onions.
- With the remaining ¼ cup of sour cream, put it into a sandwich bag and clip off the corner. Squeeze the sour cream into a web pattern over the guacamole.
- Top with plastic spiders.
- Make it up only an hour or so before you need it if possible. This will give little time for the guacamole to turn brown.
- If you need to make it up earlier than an hour beforehand, carefully brush a thin layer of lime juice on top of the guacamole with a pastry brush.
- Small Mixing Bowl
- 11" plate
- Sandwich bag
- Plastic spiders
If you made our recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram so we can see your hard work using #sixsistersstuff.