how would i make this in a slow cooker?
I have only made this over the stove, but you could easily make it in a slow cooker. Here is how:
- In a large slow cooker (at least 5 quart size- this makes a lot of soup!), add chicken (cut up into bite size pieces), chicken stock, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, tomatoes, jalapeno peppers, bell pepper, onion, garlic, black beans, corn and tomato paste.
- Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3 hours.
- About 20 minutes before serving, add cheddar cheese and half of the pepperjack cheese and stir into soup so that it melts.
- Let cook for about 20 more minutes on HIGH until you reach desired consistency.
- Add cilantro (if using). Ladle into serving bowls and top with crushed tortilla chips, leftover pepperjack cheese, and cilantro.
should the chicken be cooked?
I usually cook my chicken before adding it to the soup. This gets rid of any excess chicken fat or grease ahead of time, and I don’t have to worry about my chicken cooking all the way through. So yes, I usually always cook my chicken first.
watch how to make another soup favorite, here:
Did you know we have a Youtube Channel? We have hundreds of simple and delicious recipes, your family is going to love. We take you through each recipe, step by step, and show you exactly how to make them.
I am a huge soup fan. It is so easy to throw together, and it tastes absolutely amazing. This Detox Vegetable Soup is full of flavor, as well as veggies. You are going to love it. Watch how easy it is to make, here:
looking for more soup recipes? here are a few of our favorite:
Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup Recipe
- 3 cups chicken stock (or chicken broth)
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cooked and diced
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne powder (add more if you like it hotter- I had to keep mine kid-friendly!)
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 1-2 jalapeno peppers minced (I only used about 1/2 of a pepper- once again, kid-friendly!)
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 onion diced
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese (you could really use any kind of cheese that you have)
- 1 cup pepper jack cheese
- 1 cup fresh cilantro chopped (I just used a 2 tablespoons of dried cilantro because I didn't have any fresh and it still tasted delicious!)
- tortilla chips
- In a large stockpot, add chicken stock and heat over medium heat. Add chicken breasts, cumin, chili powder, and cayenne pepper. Simmer about 20-25 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken and set aside. Add tomatoes, jalapenos, bell pepper, onion, and garlic to the pot. Simmer about 30 minutes, covered until tomatoes have begun to break down. Add black beans, corn, and tomato paste and stir to incorporate. Add cheddar cheese and half of the pepperjack cheese and stir to melt. Return chicken to soup and cook for a couple more minutes until desired you reach your desired consistency.
- If you want thicker soup, add strips of flour tortilla. They will dissolve into the soup to thicken the broth. Add cilantro, reserving some to top individual bowls if desired. Ladle into serving bowls and top with crushed tortilla chips, leftover pepperjack cheese and more cilantro if desired.
- Slow Cooker
Adapted from: Homemade by Holman
Our newest cookbook
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!