Our Slow Cooker Beef Stew is a favorite winter dish. We’ve kicked up this stew and added more veggies. The sweet potatoes take this stew over the top. The kids loved this and asked for seconds.
I love those cold fall days, when the air is crisp and the house is warm and cozy. I love being all snuggled in the house, with a warm dinner cooking and enjoying the night as a family.
This is one of my favorite recipes on cold or crisp days.
It’s so simple to throw together, and tastes so delicious. I am not a huge stew eater, but this is one I can’t get enough of. It’s so quick and perfect for busy days.
would other potatoes work for this recipe?
This recipes calls for sweet potatoes. They really change the stew game. I am not a huge stew fan, but I love this recipe, because of the sweet potato flavor.
However, if you don’t have any on hand, or are wanting to switch it up, you could definitely make this recipe using other potatoes. This would be delicious with russet, or baby reds. I have tried it with yukon gold potatoes as well, and it was pretty delicious.
But if the sweet potato is intimidating you, don’t let it, because it really makes this stew amazing and delicious.
could i make this in a stock pot?
You could make this in a stock pot. We recommend cooking the potatoes a little bit forehand if you are making it in a stock pot.
You may also need a little more liquid as it sneaks out into the air and you lose all that steam when cooking it in a stock pot.
For the best and quick results, we do recommend using a slow cooker.
looking for more simple beef recipes? here are a few of our favorite:
- Salisbury Steak Meatballs
- Slow Cooker Chili’s Steak Fajitas
- Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Shells
- Bacon Philly Cheesesteak Wraps
- Crispy Steak Burritos
SLOW COOKER BEEF AND SWEET POTATO STEW RECIPE
- 1½ lbs stew meat cut into one-inch pieces
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ onion diced
- ½ Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 5 baby golden potatoes cubed
- 3 carrots peeled and sliced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 (14 oz) can beef broth
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon crushed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3 stalks celery diced
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- Place the meat and flour in the slow cooker. Toss the meat to coat completely. Then add in the remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook on high 4-6 hours.
- Garnish with parsley before serving.
- Slow Cooker
Recipe slightly adapted from Cafedelites