I love Cafe Rio in Utah. It is one of my all-time favorite places to eat. Their sweet pork is one of my all-time favorite meats – and it could really go in anything. We’ve shared our love for their Sweet Pork Salad (which is absolutely delicious) – but I can’t get enough of their quesadillas. I order them every single time I go! I’ll try and branch out a little bit and decide to get something else, but then when they ask “what would you like?” I automatically answer “Sweet Pork Quesadillas, please!” It’s like I can’t help myself. 🙂
I made it three whole weeks in California without eating them. Yesterday I couldn’t take it anymore, so I slow cooked the meat all day and made them for dinner. They are spot on! And they are best served with our Cilantro Lime Ranch! 😉
SWEET PORK QUESADILLAS RECIPE
- 2 pound pork roast (you can use shoulder, butt, or loin)
- 8 ounces chunky salsa
- 1 (12 ounce) can Dr. Pepper soda
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 10 flour tortillas
- 3 cups shredded colby jack cheese divided
- ½ cup sour cream optional topping
- ½ cup guacamole optional topping
- ½ cup pico de gallo optional topping
- 1 cup shredded lettuce optional topping
- ½ cup salsa optional topping
- Put the pork in the slow cooker, and fill with water until it reaches halfway up the roast.
- Cook on high for 3 hours.
- Drain the water and cut the pork in thirds.
- Mix together salsa, Dr. Pepper, and brown sugar and pour over the pork.
- Cook on low for 3 more hours.
- Drain the liquid (reserving just a little bit to mix with the pork) and shred the pork. Mix the shredded pork with the reserved liquid.
- Heat a nonstick griddle or pan to medium heat, place a tortilla on the heated griddle.
- Sprinkle on about 1/2 cup cheese and a 1/2 cup pork and place a second tortilla on top.
- Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until tortilla is golden brown, turning over halfway through.Serve with optional toppings.