I still have a major sweet tooth (in fact, I think ALL the sisters have it) – but I’m taking baby steps towards eating just a little bit healthier at a time.
Instead of eating just pure popsicles, I’ve been snacking on these chocolate covered bananas (or as we lovingly call them – Monkey Tails).
I get my chocolate fix, but I also get some much-needed fruit in there, too. Plus, they’re super easy to make, the kids will love to help, and you can freeze them for later.
They also make the perfect summer dessert. My kids will seriously pick these over popsicles anyway, which is a mom win for me.
how long do they last in the freezer?
I love these, because they are perfect for freezing.
When freezing them, we usually put them in a ziplock bag with all the air sucked out of it, so no extra moisture or air is floating a round, and will ruin their amazing texture as they freeze.
We highly recommend placing them in a ziplock or air tight container.
These will last nicely in the freezer for about 5 days. After that the banana will lose it’s texture and flavor and become a little bitter.
what other toppings could i put on these Monkey tails?
I am all about my toppings. While these are delicious as is, without any toppings, and just dipped in chocolate, it is fun to roll them in the goods. It’s also a great way to get your kids involved. Here are a few of our favorite toppings:
- shredded coconut
- chopped almonds
- chopped peanuts
- chopped pecans
- mini M & M’s
- Oreo cookie bits
- candy bar chunks (Kit Kats, Butterfingers, Reese’s, Snickers, etc.)
- white chocolate chips or a white chocolate drizzle
- peanut butter chips or peanut butter drizzle
- plain and as is (I even just like frozen bananas, if you don’t want to dip them in chocolate)
watch how to make another banana favorite, here:
Did you know we have a Youtube Channel? We have hundreds of simple and delicious recipes, your family is going to love. We take you through each recipe, step by step, and show you exactly how to make them.
Monkey Tails (Chocolate Covered Bananas) Recipe
- 6 large bananas
- 2 cups dark chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 12 6" skewers or popsicle sticks
- 2 Tablespoons chopped nuts
- 2 Tablespoons coconut optional
- Insert a skewer (or popsicle stick) into the cut end of each banana. Place each banana on a baking sheet covered with a non-stick mat (or wax paper). Freeze for 1-2 hours, or until your bananas are frozen.
- In a microwaveable bowl, mix together chocolate chips and vegetable oil. Microwave for 30 seconds, then remove and stir. Continue microwaving in 30-second intervals and stirring until the chocolate is completely smooth.
- Remove your bananas from the freezer. One at a time, dip each banana in the chocolate mixture and sprinkle with your favorite toppings, holding it above a plate and rotating it slowly so there are toppings covering the entire banana.
- Place each banana back on the non-stick mat and cookie sheet and return to the freezer until the chocolate is firm (about 30 minutes).
*Store un-eaten monkey tails in a freezer-safe bag in the freezer for up to 30 days.
- Baking Sheet
- Wax Paper
- Microwave Safe Bowl
Looking to eat healthier? Sign-up to receive a healthy menu plan and shopping list in your inbox every week!
EACH HEALTHY MENU PLAN INCLUDES:
- A WEEK AT A GLANCE
- 6 MAIN DISH RECIPES
- 2 SIDE DISH RECIPES
- 1 SNACK/TREAT RECIPE
- DETAILED SHOPPING LIST
Every recipe in the menu plan is 500 calories or less per serving and includes nutrition information to help you stay on track!
Learn more, view sample menu plans and join HERE!