We love a tasty appetizer in the summer, especially when it involves pasta! We took one of our favorite pasta salads and turned it into a delicious handheld app that’s great for BBQs or potlucks.
It reminds me of my favorite party appetizer when I was little – those little toothpicks with pickles, cheese, and an olive (you can see more about those in this post, they’re number one on the list). This is like the grownup version and it is definitely a new favorite around here.
What you need to make these skewers
It’s really simple ingredients, and you probably have a lot of them already. The great thing is, you don’t need all of them. You can add in other ingredients or omit ingredients you don’t like.
For ours, we used pepperoni, cucumber, olives, tortellini, fresh mozzarella cubes, grape tomatoes, and peperoncinis, then we drizzled them with some Zesty Italian dressing.
How to make Italian Tortellini Skewers
- Cook tortellini according to package directions. Drain, set aside, and let cool.
- Thread each skewer with pepperoni (I used two pepperoni each time), cucumber, olive, tortellini, mozzarella, tomato, and peperoncini. Repeat until all the skewers are full.
- Drizzle skewers with Italian dressing and keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
This recipe is really easy to make your own. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Kalamata Olives
- Artichoke Hearts
- Pesto (instead of Italian Dressing)
- Balsamic Vinaigrette (instead of Italian Dressing)
- Bell Peppers (they add great color and crunch)
- Other types of cheese (we love marbled cheddar or sharp cheddar cheese)
- Meat (these would be really tasty with some grilled chicken or shrimp)
Other Recipe notes
If you don’t want to drizzle the dressing over the top, you could also toss all of the ingredients together in a bowl before you skewer them. It would taste great letting them marinade in the Italian Dressing before serving.
If you’re wanting to feed more of a crowd, you could also use smaller skewers (6-inch instead of 12-inch) and double the amount this recipe serves (from 10 to 20).
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
More Tortellini Recipes
- Pesto Tortellini Bake
- Italian Tortellini Salad
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tortellini Tomato Soup
- One Pan Sausage and Tortellini
- One Pot Creamy Tortellini Soup
Be sure to not miss another recipe!
Did you know we have a YouTube Channel?
Looking for more delicious appetizers? Try these baked mozzarella sticks!