One thing I love about this recipe is that you can be in control of how spicy these chicken and rice bowls really are. Pick a salsa that fits your spice level (or that of your kids).
You can also have a spicier salsa for adding later for family members who want to kick it up a notch. You’ll find that this recipe hits the spot for everyone in your family.
How to Make Spicy Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Bowls:
Place ingredients into the Instant Pot: chicken, broth, canned corn, drained beans, green chilis, spices/seasonings, salsa, and rice (rinsed).
Gently make sure all the rice is touching the liquids. Don’t mix too much. Lock the lid into place and turn the knob to sealing.
Press the manual or pressure cook button and set on high pressure for 9 minutes. When done, quick release or turn the knob to venting.
When pressure has been released completely, open the lid and mix. Add your favorite toppings on top and serve!
Don’t have an Instant Pot?
If you don’t have an Instant Pot, don’t worry! You can also make it on the stove top.
To start, rinse 1 cup of rice and then mix it with the salsa and 2 cups of water in small saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil, cover with lid and reduce heat to low. Let it simmer, stirring every 5-7 minutes until rice is tender, about 20-25 minutes.
With your spices, make a dry rub and cover the chicken with it. Cook your chicken in a cast iron pan until cooked through.
After your rice is cooked, stir in the beans, corn, and the chicken. Serve with your favorite toppings.
Speaking of toppings? What are your favorite toppings to add to burrito bowls? Here are some of our favorites:
- sour cream
- shredded lettuce
- diced tomato
- tortilla strips
Tips for making rice bowls:
- Avoid the BURN message: Recipes with tomatoes/tomato paste/salsa can be finicky and result in the BURN notice. Avoid this by layering the onions on the bottom of your pot and do not stir the ingredients before cooking.
- Increase the flavor: Using chicken broth instead of water will add extra flavor to your dish.
- Shredding the chicken: If you’ve seen enough of my YouTube videos, you know I love my Bear Claws for shredding my meat. It makes it so quick and easy!
Did you know we have a Youtube Channel?
We have hundreds of simple and delicious recipes, your family is going to love. We take you through each recipe, step by step, and show you exactly how to make them.
Related Recipe: If you love this recipe, be sure to try our Steak Burrito Bowl! They are so flavorful and packed with veggies and protein! Get the recipe HERE.
Looking for more instant Pot Recipes? Here are a few of our favorites:
- Instant Pot Hawaiian BBQ Chicken
- Instant Pot Lasagna Soup
- Instant Pot Dr. Pepper Pulled Pork
- Instant Pot Dulce de Leche (Homemade Caramel)
Instant Pot Spicy Chicken and Rice Bowls Recipe
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (diced)
- 1 ounce taco seasoning
- 4.5 ounces diced green chilies
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 (15.25 ounce) can corn
- Place ingredients into the Instant Pot: chicken, broth, canned corn, drained beans, green chilis, seasonings, salsa, and rice (rinsed)
- Gently make sure all the rice is touching the liquids. Don't mix too much.
- Lock the lid into place and turn the knob to sealing, not venting.
- Press the manual or pressure cook button and set on high pressure for 9 minutes. When done, quick release or turn the knob to venting.
- When pressure has been released completely, open the lid and mix.
- Add your favorite toppings on top.
- Instant Pot
CHECK OUT OUR NEW COOKBOOK
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Six Sisters’ Stuff COPYCAT COOKING <—– Click here to order!