Add this Instant Pot chicken and gravy recipe to your menu for an easy family dinner this week! It truly is one of the best Instant Pot chicken and gravy recipes you will make.
What I love about this recipe is that you don’t need anything crazy to make this recipe taste delicious. Everything will already be in your pantry and you can pull it together in a matter of minutes and have it in the Instant Pot cooking.
Our chicken and gravy recipe is the perfect recipe to make on those super busy nights. It’s not an overy complicated recipe but tastes amazing.
Oh and this chicken and gravy recipe begs to be served with our slow cooker creamy mashed potatoes, they pair perfectly together. You can also serve it with some oven roasted vegetables or baked mac and cheese! They are all delicious, but definitely don’t skip the mashed potatoes!
Ingredients You’ll Need For Our Instant Pot Chicken and Gravy Recipe:
- Ground black pepper
- Garlic powder
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Chicken broth
- Cold water
How To Make Our Instant Pot Chicken and Gravy Recipe:
Being by combining together the salt, paprika, thyme, pepper, and garlic powder in small bowl and mix them together to form the seasoning.
Once the season is mixed, place the chicken on a plate or cutting board and spinkle it with the seasoning on both sides and rub it in until the chicken breast is completely covered.
Then plug in the Instant Pot and turn it onto the SAUTE function and let it heat up.
After it is hot, add the butter to the pot and let it melt.
Now add the chicken breasts into the pot and cook them until they are browned on each side, about 2-3 minutes.
NOTE: The chicken breasts will NOT be cooked all the way through at this point but will during the rest of the cooking time.
Then take the chicken out of the inner pot and place it on a place and press the cancel button.
Next you need to pour the chicken broth in the pot and scrape down the browned bits on the pot (aka the added flavor!) with a wooden spatula.
Now place the trivet inside the pot over top of the chicken broth and place the chicken breasts on top of the trivet.
Place the lid on the Instant Pot and press the PRESSURE COOK button and set the timer for 5 minutes.
After the time is up, let the pot do a NATURAL RELEASE of the pressure for 10 minutes, and then move the valve to the VENTING position to release any remaining pressure from the inside.
Once that is done, remove the chicken and the trivet from inside and place the chicken on a place and cover it with foil to keep it warm.
In a small bowl, mix together the cornstarch and the water until the cornstarch is completely dissolved.
When that is ready, press the SAUTE button and then slowly whisk in the cornstarch mixture to thicken the gravy in the pot.
Continue whisking the sauce until it reaches the consistency you like, then just add salt and pepper to take, press the CANCEL button and serve the gravy on top of your chicken and enjoy!
To Make This Instant Pot Chicken and Gravy You Will Need:
- Instant Pot
- Trivet (one like THIS)
- Small bowl
- Wooden spatula
- Aluminum foil
What to Use Instead of Cornstarch
Cornstarch is a wonderful thickener, but every kitchen might not have it and that is okay! There are a few great substitutes that you can use in place of cornstarch.
Allrecipes.com has a list of 5 cornstarch substitutes you can use instead that you might have available. Give the list a look at check and see if you can find something that will work for you!
Want More Easy Dinner Ideas?
Join our email list today and we will send you a FREE ebook of our favorite dinner recipes – plus we will send you recipes each week to help make your dinner planning easier!
Join today by CLICKING HERE.
Have you checked out our YouTube channel? We show you how to make our favorite recipes right in our own kitchens!
Our newest cookbook is all about Pressure Cooking. If you love our Instant Pot recipes, this is the cookbook for you!
Each simple and delicious recipe contains clear instructions for prep and specific pressure cooking times from start to ready-to-serve.
Order your copy today!
Chicken Doesn’t Have to Be Boring – Add These Instant Pot Recipes to Your List for Next Week!
- Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Sandwiches Recipe
- Instant Pot Mississippi Chicken Sandwiches Recipe
- Instant Pot Creamy Fiesta Chicken Recipe
- Instant Pot Chicken Pot Pie and Biscuits Recipe
- Instant Pot Spicy Chicken and Rice Bowls Recipe
Instant Pot Chicken and Gravy Recipe
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1½ teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 Tablespoons cold water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl, combine salt, paprika, thyme, pepper, and garlic powder in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle chicken with seasonings and rub on both sides so that each chicken breast is completely covered.
- Press SAUTE button on Instant Pot.
- Add butter to hot pot and let it melt.
- Cook chicken breasts until browned (about 2-3 minutes per side – we aren't cooking the breasts, just browning the outside).
- Transfer browned chicken breasts to a plate.
- Press CANCEL button to turn off the saute.
- Pour chicken broth to pot and scrape any browned bits on the bottom of the pot (I like to use a wooden spatula to do this).
- Place trivet inside pot and lay chicken breasts on top of trivet.
- Place lid on the Instant Pot.
- Press the PRESSURE COOK button and set timer for 5 minutes.
- After timer is finished, let the pot do a NATURAL RELEASE for 10 minutes, then move the valve to VENTING to release the remaining pressure.
- Remove the lid, then remove the chicken to a plate and cover with foil to keep them warm.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water together until completely dissolved.
- Press the SAUTE button.
- Whisk in the cornstarch mixture to thicken the gravy until it reaches the consistency you prefer.
- Add salt and pepper as desired.
- Press CANCEL and serve chicken with gravy on top.
- Instant Pot
- small bowl
- Wooden Spatula
- Aluminum Foil
If you made our recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram so we can see your hard work using #sixsistersstuff.