I love making sheet cakes for parties, potlucks and gatherings. Not only is this Easy Lemon Sheet Cake simple to throw together, but it is perfect for feeding a crowd.
This Easy Lemon Sheet Cake has the best lemon flavor and is topped with a delicious cream cheese buttercream frosting. This lemon cake can be cut to feed 20+ people, depending on how many pieces you slice it into.
Whenever I bring this cake to parties or potlucks, everyone always asks me for the recipe and I’m almost embarrassed to admit how easy it is to make.
How to make Easy Lemon Sheet Cake:
We call this Easy Lemon Sheet Cake, because it is just that – EASY!
To make the cake, you simply combine a box of lemon cake mix, 4 eggs and and a can of lemon pie filling. The lemon pie filling really gives this cake some extra lemony flavor and makes it so moist.
Spread the prepared cake batter into a half sheet pan that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray and bake at 350 degrees F. for 18-20 minutes.
An easy way to check if your cake is completely cooked is to insert a toothpick into the center of the cake and if it comes out clean, then it’s done. If it comes out covered in crumbs or batter, keep your cake in the oven for a few more minutes.
Let the cake cool completely after taking it out of the oven. While the cake is cooling, prepare your frosting.
How To Make Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting:
To make the frosting, beat together softened cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar and vanilla. You can do this in a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer or in a stand mixer.
Once the frosting is smooth and fluffy, you know it’s done! Spread your frosting on top of your cooled cake and cut into squares then serve.
Items needed to make this recipe:
- Half Sheet Pan: I use this half sheet pan and use it all the time for sheet pan dinners, brownies, cakes and cookies.
- Large Glass Mixing Bowl: This 4-quart glass mixing bowl is perfect for doughs and batters. I use it almost every day! It also is pretty enough to use to serve salads in.
- Hand Mixer: This hand mixer has 7 speeds, is easy to clean and can be used to mix anything from mashed potatoes to meringues.
Other delicious sheet cake recipes:
- Pumpkin Sheet Cake
- Chocolate Zucchini Sheet Cake
- Strawberry Shortcake Sheet Cake
- White Texas Sheet Cake
- Sheet Pan Hawaiian Poke Cake