During the week, most of my meals consist of a quick main dish and then a fruit or veggie side dish that I throw together in a matter of seconds.
However, every once in a while, I totally catch my family off-guard and whip up an actual honest-to-goodness side dish- something besides pasta-a-roni or minute rice (did I just admit that?).
This recipe is seriously simple to make- ALMOST as simple as boxed potatoes. It is made with ingredients you already have, making it even easier.
And I promise that your family will give you rave reviews and think of you as a domestic goddess. Who knows- maybe you’ll even get a foot rub out of it. These are some magic potatoes.
how far in advance can i make this recipe?
I usually make this recipe and eat it within the same day. However, you can make it in advance then cook it later, right before you plan to eat. You could easily make it the day before and it would be just fine.
However, I would not make it more than 24 hours in advance. This dish is best when it is served and baked fresh.
add a little more flavor:
This salad is delicious as is, however, I like to add a little ranch seasoning mix to give it just a little extra flavor. It is so yummy with a little kick of ranch seasoning mix.
would this recipe work in a slow cooker?
I have only made this in the oven, however, you could make this in the slow cooker. You will definitely want to spray the oven with non stick cooking spray, or use a slow cooker liner, but it would work.
You may need to add a little more moisture as well, depending on how fast it cooks out. We recommend cooking it on high, instead of low.
would any potato work for this recipe?
For this recipe, we used russet potatoes, however, really any potato would work for this recipe. I have never made it using sweet potatoes because I usually use russet.
I have made this recipe using mini red potatoes and it was absolutely scrumptious. You can also peel the potatoes, or keep the skin on. I like the texture of the skin, so I usually keep it on.
You could also use golden yukon potatoes. My friend makes her potato salad with them, and it is delicious every time.
related article: if you love these creamy au gratin potatoes, you’ll want to try our Baked red potato wedges.
watch how to make another potato side dish, here:
Did you know we have a Youtube Channel? We have hundreds of simple and delicious recipes, your family is going to love. We take you through each recipe, step by step, and show you exactly how to make them.
I am a huge potato salad fan. If you like potato salad, this is definitely a recipe you need to try. It comes together quickly, all thanks to the instant pot. Watch how simple it is to make, here:
looking for more potato side dishes? here are a few of our favorite:
- Cheesy Bacon Potatoes
- Instant Pot Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Au Gratin Cheesy Potato Bake
- Brown Sugar Roasted Bacon Sweet Potatoes
- Roasted Baby Potatoes
Creamy Au Gratin Potatoes Recipe
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 russet potatoes sliced
- ½ onion diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray an 8 x 11 inch casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium-size saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Mix in the flour, salt, and garlic powder and stir constantly with a whisk for one minute.
- Stir in milk.
- Cook until mixture has thickened.
- Stir in cheese all at once, and continue stirring until melted, about 30 to 60 seconds.
- Layer 1/2 of the potatoes into the bottom of the prepared casserole dish and season with salt and pepper.
- Top with the diced onions, then pour half of the cheese mixture on top of the onions.
- Layer the rest of the potatoes, season with salt and pepper, and top with the remaining cheese sauce.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 80-90 minutes (I usually remove the foil for the last 15 minutes so that the top can brown just a little bit).
Looking to eat healthier? Sign-up to receive a healthy menu plan and shopping list in your inbox every week!
EACH HEALTHY MENU PLAN INCLUDES:
- A WEEK AT A GLANCE
- 6 MAIN DISH RECIPES
- 2 SIDE DISH RECIPES
- 1 SNACK/TREAT RECIPE
- DETAILED SHOPPING LIST
Every recipe in the menu plan is 500 calories or less per serving and includes nutrition information to help you stay on track!
Learn more, view sample menu plans and join HERE!