There is nothing more comforting than a warm casserole at the end of the day. This Baked Potato Casserole is the definition of delicious comfort food, and is such a great twist on one of our favorite family dinners, baked potatoes.
They are so easy to make, and come together in just a few minutes.
We serve these for breakfast and take out the chicken, but they also make an amazing side dish. My husband loves when we have steak for dinner, and I cook up these potatoes.
They are quick, simple, delicious, and full of flavor. You will love them. My kids like to put ketchup on them, but I like them as is, all smothered in cheesy goodness.
What could I replace the heavy whipping cream with?
This recipe calls for heavy whipping cream, but you could easily replace it with something else.
We recommend using sour cream, or plain Greek yogurt. Milk would also work, it just won’t thicken up as well.
We have only made this recipe using heavy whipping cream, but in similar recipes, I have used sour cream or plain Greek yogurt in place of heavy whipping cream, and it always turns out amazing.
The flavor may be just a little different, but still delicious.
Add a little more flavor:
This dish is delicious as is, however, I like to add a little ranch seasoning mix to give it just a little extra flavor. It is so yummy with a little kick of ranch seasoning mix.
Would any potato work for this recipe?
For this recipe, we used russet potatoes, however, really any potato would work for this recipe. I have never made it using sweet potatoes because I usually use russet potatoes.
I have made this recipe using mini red potatoes and it was absolutely scrumptious. You can also peel the potatoes, or keep the skin on. I like the texture of the skin, so I usually keep it on.
You could also use golden yukon potatoes. My friend makes this recipe and shreds golden yukon potatoes and they are so delicious.
Watch how to make another yummy potato dish, here:
Did you know we have a Youtube Channel? We have hundreds of simple and delicious recipes, your family is going to love. We take you through each recipe, step by step, and show you exactly how to make them.
I am a huge potato salad fan. If you like potato salad, this is definitely a recipe you need to try. It comes together quickly, all thanks to the instant pot. Watch how simple it is to make, here:
Looking for more potato side dishes? Here are a few of our favorites:
- Cheesy Bacon Potatoes
- Instant Pot Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Au Gratin Cheesy Potato Bake
- Brown Sugar Roasted Bacon Sweet Potatoes
- Roasted Baby Potatoes
Baked Potato Casserole Recipe
- 3 Russet Potatoes
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts diced
- 5 strips bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 green onions sliced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- In a greased 9x9 pan, place half of your chopped potatoes.
- Over the potatoes, spread out the diced chicken.
- Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 teaspoon of pepper, half the bacon, half the cheese, and half the green onions over the chicken.
- Place the rest of the potatoes on top of the chicken, and top with remaining salt and pepper, bacon, green onions, and cheese.
- Pour heavy whipping cream evenly over the casserole.
- Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour. Uncover after 1 hour and bake 30 more minutes.
- We like to top ours with more cheese, or any of our other favorite baked potato toppings!
- 9 x 9 inch pan