You know when you reach the bottom of the chip bag, or the end of the salsa, and there’s just not quite enough to do anything with?
That’s where this recipe comes in!
It’s the perfect way to use up that last one-fourth of your tortilla chips or the bottom of your salsa container.
Chips and Salsa chicken takes your boring chicken breast dinner and turns it into something kid-friendly and new. With the breaded chicken topped with salsa and cheese, it’s sure to be a big hit with your whole family.
How to make chips and salsa chicken
Step 1: In a small, shallow bowl or container, combine lime juice, honey, and oil.
Step 2: Dip both sides of the chicken in the lime juice mixture, then coat with crushed chips.
Step 3: Place in an ungreased 9×13″ baking dish. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until juices run clear.
Step 4: Spoon a tablespoon or two of salsa over each chicken piece.
Step 5: Sprinkle with cheese, then return to the oven and bake for about 15 more minutes, just until the cheese melts.
Step 6: Serve with guacamole and sour cream and garnish with fresh cilantro.
Tasty Add-Ins or Substitutions
We think this recipe is pretty tasty as is, but here are some delicious changes you can make:
- To lighten this recipe: try grilling the chicken (without breading it). The lime juice is a pretty good marinade, and if you let it set for about 30 minutes, and then grill it, it would cut back on quite a few calories. Top with salsa and cheese, then broil it for a few minutes to melt the cheese.
- Use a homemade salsa: a chunky store-bought salsa will still taste delicious, but try using our copycat chili’s salsa or our blender salsa on top. Perfection.
- Switch up the toppings: We love this with fresh diced avocados, different kinds of cheeses (usually whatever we have in our fridge), or even plain greek yogurt.
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Serve this chicken with:
- Spanish Cauliflower Rice (the perfect healthy side to balance this meal out)
- Mexican Street Corn Salad
- Quick and Easy Black Beans
- Chili’s Copycat Skillet Queso
- Easy Southwest Salad (just don’t add the chicken, or serve the chips and salsa chicken right over the top of it!)
Chips and Salsa Chicken Recipe
- 3 Tablespoons lime juice freshly squeezed
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup tortilla chips finely crushed
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- ½ cup guacamole (optional)
- ½ cup sour cream (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh cilantro chopped (optional)
- Combine lime juice, oil, and honey.
- Dip both sides of the chicken in the lime juice mixture, then coat with crushed chips.
- Place in an ungreased 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until juices run clear.
- Spoon a Tablespoon or two of salsa over each chicken piece and sprinkle with cheese, then return to the oven and bake for about 10 more minutes, just until the cheese melts.
- Serve with guacamole and sour cream and garnish with fresh cilantro.
- 9x13" Baking Pan