You will be hooked on these Blueberry Pie bars after one bite. The pie crust layer is similar to a buttery shortbread. It’s absolutely amazing. It beats pie crust any day!
We used plump and juicy blueberries from the produce department. The fresh blueberries release their own juice and burst into the sweetest filling.
You don’t need great pie baking skills to make blueberry pie bars. We topped them off with a sweet crumble layer and a drizzle of glaze.
can you use frozen blueberries in this recipe?
As listed in the recipe, we used fresh juicy blueberries in this recipe. They add just the right amount of sweetness.
Frozen blueberries should work fine in this recipe too. Be sure to thaw them and drain off any excess liquid.
We prefer fresh over frozen, but knowing you can make this dessert when fresh blueberries are not in season is a great option. You would still need the same amount of berries when using frozen.
do these bars store well?
Blueberry Pie Bars are great for summer desserts because they can withstand the summer heat. They are great for holidays, parties, and picnics.
A great dessert all year round, or for any celebration. You can easily make them the day before and keep them in an airtight container. Store in the fridge until ready to serve.
They also freeze well for up to a month in an airtight freezer container.
how to make blueberry pie bars
Nothing out of the ordinary needed for Blueberry Pie bars. We had most of the ingredients on hand.
- Heat your oven to 350 and lightly grease a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- In a saucepan combine 3 cups of the blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, and lemon juice. Mix until completely combined over medium low heat.
- Stir until the blueberries start to release their own juices. That will take about 5-6 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium high heat. Bring to a boil stirring constantly for about 1 1/2 minutes.
- Add in the other 2 cups of blueberries, butter, vanilla. Keep stirring until the butter is melted.
- Let cool as you make the crust.
- We made the crust in our stand mixer. In a large bowl in your stand mixer (or regular mixing bowl) combine the flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, cornstarch, and salt. Pulse until it’s all combined.
- Spread the butter chunks over the flour mixture in the bowl. Continue pulsing until it forms coarse crumbs.
- Then add in egg and vanilla and continue to stir until it all comes together.
- Place half of the mixture into the bottom of your prepared pan and spread around evenly with your fingers, or the back of a spoon.
- Spoon the blueberry mixture over the crust and spread evenly over the entire crust.
- Sprinkle the remaining crumb mixture over the top of the blueberry mixture.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the crumble mixture is golden brown.
- Let the bars cool and then make the glazed topping.
- Mix together the powdered sugar, vanilla, almond extract, and milk. Combine and drizzle over the cooled bars. (You could drizzle it over warm bars, but the glaze may run together a little bit.)
- Slice the bars and serve. They are delicious on their own, or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
helpful items used in this recipe:
- Stand Mixer – A favorite stand mixer for everything from cookie dough to bread dough.
- Sauce Pan – A non stick sauce pan with a glass lid is a popular pan in our homes.
- 9 x 13 Inch Baking Dish – We love the baking dishes that come with a lid for storing leftovers.
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert, and everything in-between.
WE ARE SO EXCITED TO SHARE THESE RECIPES WITH YOU. ORDER YOUR COPY TODAY!
SIX SISTERS’ STUFF COPYCAT COOKING <—– CLICK HERE TO ORDER!
here are more blueberry desserts
We love blueberries, and we think your family will enjoy these too!
- Blueberry Cheesecake Pudding Poke Cake
- Blueberry Jamboree
- Baked Blueberry Doughnuts
- Blueberry Butter Cake
- No Bake Fluffy Blueberry Cheesecake
Have you seen our YouTube channel?
check out these delicious blueberry muffins!
They are so easy to make using a cake mix.