what could i add to make this recipe more spicy?
I have a really weak mouth. Spicy food is not my friend, and makes my eyes water and my nose runny. However, this is a great recipe to add a little kick to. Here are some ways you could spice it up:
- Add jalapeños to the slow cooker. You could really add any hot pepper you desire, but some fresh jalapeños would be really yummy with this mixture.
- Red Pepper Flakes would also give this a little bit of a kick, and it’s an inexpensive and quick way to add a little heat.
- Hot sauce would also be a good addition to add to the slow cooker when cooking it, to give it that little extra boost of heat.
could i use flour to thicken it?
This recipe originally calls for corn starch to thicken it. However, if you don’t have any on hand, or prefer to use flour, flour would work just as well.
You will want to whisk it in, ensuring that there are no flour lumps in your meal. Corn starch doesn’t clump up as much as flour, which is usually why we do cornstarch. But flour is a great alternative.
watch how to make another slow cooker steak favorite, here:
Did you know we have a Youtube Channel? We have hundreds of simple and delicious recipes, your family is going to love. We take you through each recipe, step by step, and show you exactly how to make them.
I am all about easy dinners and this Slow Coker Steak Fajitas is so simple to throw together in the crock pot, and enjoy later. It’s simple. fast, and absolutely delicious. Watch how to make it, here:
looking for more simple steak recipes? here are a few of our favorite:
- Salisbury Steak Meatballs
- Slow Cooker Chili’s Steak Fajitas
- Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Shells
- Bacon Philly Cheesesteak Wraps
- Crispy Steak Burritos
Slow Cooker Pepper Steak Recipe
- 2 pounds beef sirloin cut into 2 inch strips (I also have used 2 lbs of stew meat and it works great!)
- garlic powder to taste
- 1 cube beef bouillon
- ¼ cup hot water
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ cup onion sliced
- 14.5 ounces stewed tomatoes with liquid
- 3 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large green bell pepper sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper sliced
- Spray slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. Place beef on bottom of crock pot and sprinkle with garlic powder.
- Mix bouillon cube with hot water until dissolved, then mix in cornstarch until dissolved. Pour into the slow cooker with meat. Stir in onion, stewed tomatoes, soy sauce, sugar, and salt.
- Cover, and cook on High for 3 to 4 hours, or on Low for 6 to 8 hours.
- For the last 30 minutes of cooking, add the sliced peppers and turn heat up to high (if it wasn't on high already). If you add the peppers any sooner, they become pretty mushy. I also added a tablespoon of cornstarch (mixed with 1 Tablespoon cool water) just before serving to the drippings left in the slow cooker, which made a yummy gravy that was perfect over rice.
- This recipe originally calls for corn starch to thicken it. However, if you don’t have any on hand, or prefer to use flour, flour would work just as well.
- You will want to whisk it in, ensuring that there are no flour lumps in your meal. Corn starch doesn’t clump up as much as flour, which is usually why we do cornstarch. But flour is a great alternative
- Slow Cooker
- Non-stick Cooking Spray
Looking to eat healthier? Sign-up to receive a healthy menu plan and shopping list in your inbox every week!
EACH HEALTHY MENU PLAN INCLUDES:
- A WEEK AT A GLANCE
- 6 MAIN DISH RECIPES
- 2 SIDE DISH RECIPES
- 1 SNACK/TREAT RECIPE
- DETAILED SHOPPING LIST
Every recipe in the menu plan is 500 calories or less per serving and includes nutrition information to help you stay on track!
Learn more, view sample menu plans and join HERE!