If you love baked potatoes as much as we do, then this is the recipe for you. There is so much flavor in these potatoes, you almost don’t even need to put toppings on them.
The slices in the potatoes allow the butter and garlic flavors to actually stick to the potatoes. Every bite is packed with the most delicious flavor. We will never have regular baked potatoes again.
Not to mention this is a cheap and delicious side dish recipe that is perfect for just about any dish.
You could also make it a main dish, by adding in some meat, chili, and other favorite baked potato toppings. Either way, I do not think you will be disappointed in these Sliced Baked Potatoes.
They are so simple, quick, inexpensive, and tasty.
Add a little more flavor:
This dish is delicious as is, however, I like to add a little ranch seasoning mix to give it just a little extra flavor. It is so yummy with a little kick of ranch seasoning mix.
Would any potato work for this recipe?
For this recipe, we used russet potatoes, however, really any potato would work for this recipe. I have never made it using sweet potatoes because I usually use russet potatoes.
I have made this recipe using red potatoes and it was absolutely scrumptious. You can also peel the potatoes, or keep the skin on. I like the texture of the skin, so I usually keep it on.
You could also use golden yukon potatoes. Really any potato would work great for this recipe. If you have a favorite potato, try it. It’s hard to mess this recipe up, so any type of potato would be delicious.
Our favorite baked potato toppings:
It is all about the toppings for me. If you are looking for more things to top your baked potato off with, here are a few I recommend:
- bacon crumbles
- cubed ham
- bell peppers
- plain Greek yogurt
- chili (with crumbled frito corn chips)
Watch how to make another yummy potato dish, here:
Did you know we have a Youtube Channel? We have hundreds of simple and delicious recipes, your family is going to love. We take you through each recipe, step by step, and show you exactly how to make them.
I am a huge potato salad fan. If you like potato salad, this is definitely a recipe you need to try. It comes together quickly, all thanks to the instant pot. Watch how simple it is to make, here:
Looking for more potato side dishes? Here are a few of our favorites:
- Cheesy Bacon Potatoes
- Instant Pot Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Au Gratin Cheesy Potato Bake
- Brown Sugar Roasted Bacon Sweet Potatoes
- Roasted Baby Potatoes
Sliced Baked Potato Recipe
- 6 Russet Potatoes
- ½ cup butter sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounces sliced cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 green onions diced
- 6 strips bacon cooked and crumbled
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cover baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Slice potatoes about 1/8 inch thick, without cutting all the way through to the bottom, creating a fan effect. Place potatoes on prepared pan.
- Carefully place sliced butter in between a few of the slices.
- Rub minced garlic on top of potatoes or in between the slices.
- Top with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Bake for one hour, or until potato is fully cooked
- Take out potatoes and place one inch slices of cheese in between the slices of potatoes.
- Place back in oven for 5 minutes.
- After cheese is melted, take potatoes out of oven and let them cool for at least 10 minutes, to avoid sour cream melting.
- Top with sour cream, chopped green onions, and bacon. Serve warm.
- Baking Sheet