Lasagna just got a lot easier, and even more delicious. I’m one of those weird people who doesn’t really like noodles.
I will eat it for my kids sake, but I just don’t love it. These Lasagna Cupcakes are so easy to make because you get to take the step of cooking the noodles right out.
They are also inexpensive to make, and perfect for little friends, or hands to eat. They are so cute, and just the perfect size.
If you need a new dinner idea, or are in a dinner rut, this is just the recipe to get you out of it. Plus, it’s delicious and a family favorite, every time.
Do I drain my tomatoes?
For this recipe, we did drain the tomatoes. As this recipe cooks, it produces a lot of juices and sauce, that you will definitely want to drain your tomatoes.
If you don’t like full tomatoes, you could also use more crushed tomatoes, and just try to drain as much as the excess juice as you can, for the best results.
Could I use lasagna noodles instead of wontons?
I have only made this recipe using wontons. I think if you were to use lasagna noodles, they wouldn’t fit as well, and the lasagna cupcakes would overflow. You could try it, and do one less layer, but for the best results, we recommend trying out the wontons.
You also won’t get as much sauce or meat in your cupcakes, because the lasagna noodles will take up a lot of room and be more bulky.
How many wonton wrappers does each cupcake use?
For this recipe, I used four wonton wrappers for each lasagna cupcake. I found it was the perfect amount of layers, without them overflowing, or being too big.
Watch how to make another easy dinner favorite, here:
Did you know we have a Youtube Channel? We have hundreds of simple and delicious recipes, your family is going to love. We take you through each recipe, step by step, and show you exactly how to make them.
These Easy Chicken Salad Sandwiches make the perfect lunch, dinner or snack. They are so quick to throw together and taste amazing. Watch how simple they are to make, here:
Looking for more pasta recipes? here are a few of our favorites:
- Ravioli Casserole
- One Pan Sausage and Tortellini
- Easy Homemade Lasagna
- 20-Minute Tuscan Pasta
- Baked Broccoli Mac n’ Cheese
- Grandma’s Delicious Goulash
Lasagna Cupcakes Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound turkey sausage lean
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup fresh basil chopped
- ¾ cup part skim ricotta
- ¾ cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 ½ cups shredded Mozzarella plus more for topping
- 48 wonton wrappers
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- For the meat sauce: In a large skillet over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil, once it is hot add the onion and garlic, sprinkle with a little salt and saute until softened.
- Add the sausage, breaking up the clumps with your spoon. Cook until the sausage is no longer pink, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and cook 1 to 2 minutes. Add the crushed tomatoes, 1/4 cup chopped basil, as well as some salt and pepper. Stir to combine and simmer uncovered, for about 3 minutes, stirring every now and then. Take off the burner once cooked, and let it cool a little bit while you prepare the cheese filling.
- For the cheese filling: Stir together the ricotta, 3/4 cup Parmesan, and 3/4 cup mozzarella. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- To assemble the cupcakes: Pull out your favorite cupcake pan. If your pan is not nonstick, spray the cups with cooking spray. Place a wonton wrapper in each cup. (I used square ones)
- Drop about 1 tablespoon of meat sauce into the bottom of each cup. Then add 1 teaspoon of ricotta filling. Then cover with another wonton wrapper, rotating it about 90 degrees so that the corners of the first wrapper and the second wrapper aren't right on top of each other. Repeat this until you've built 3 layers total. Top each with a small basil leaf, then another wonton wrapper. Finish each cupcake with a spoonful of meat sauce, a little shredded mozzarella and pinch of grated Parmesan. - Your cup will be very full!
- Pop them into the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Check them at about 10 minutes to see how much longer they need. Once they are cooked, let them rest in the muffin tin for about 10 minutes. They should come out very easily! Top with more basil if you want.
- (I had some left over sauce, filling and wontons so I make mini ones using a mini muffin tin. I only used 2 wonton wrappers. It was the perfect size for my kids!)
- Muffin Tin
Our newest cookbook
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!