My husband turned a whopping 26 years old last week. He loves ice cream cakes, and I decided to save myself a few dollars and make one at home. The hot fudge topping is amazing.
I am all about desserts, and desserts that include hot fudge, and this Hot Fudge Sundae Ice Cream Cake, is one of the best cakes I have ever eaten.
It only requires a few simple ingredients, and you probably already have most of them on hand. We also made our own hot fudge, and it was so creamy and rich. If you have never tried homemade hot fudge, I highly recommend it.
As a busy mom, any shortcut is an answer to prayers. This recipe has a few different shortcuts you can take, to make it, and it will still taste absolutely amazing.
Here are a few tips to save you some time:
- If you do not want to make your own hot fudge, you can easily buy your own. You can easily find a jar of hot fudge on the ice cream topping aisle.
- Use a can of whipped cream. You can also make your own whipped cream, but I like to use the can, because you can make shapes and designs with it.
- Pre made cake mix. This recipe calls for Devils Food Cake Mix, and it is so delicious. Really any chocolate cake mix would work. You could also try another flavor, if desired.
What else could I top the cake with?
I love me some toppings. If you don’t like cherries, here are a few alternative you could top this cake with:
- Kit Kat Candybars
- Snickers Candybars
- Take 5 Candybars
- Oreos (with Cookies and Cream ice cream)
- Milky Way Candybars
- Butterfinger Candybars
- Andes Mints (with Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream)
- Heath Bar
- Brownie bites
- Cookie dough bites
- Chocolate chip cookie chunks
- Fresh fruit (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, etc.)
- Reese’s Pieces
- Chocolate chips (milk, peanut butter, white, dark, mini)
- Nuts (peanuts, cashews, almonds, pecans, walnuts)
- Chocolate syrup
- Caramel syrup
- Marshmallow cream
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Fruit (strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, bananas, etc.)
Did you know we have a Youtube ChanneL
We have hundreds of simple and delicious recipes, your family is going to love.
We take you through each recipe, step by step, and show you exactly how to make them.
Looking for more frozen desserts? Here are a few of our favorites:
- Frozen Chocolate and Peanut Butter Banana Bites
- Frozen Creamy Lime Jello
- Skinny Frozen Strawberry Bites
- Frozen Raspberry Pie
- Frozen Lemon Fluff Dessert
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Cake
Hot Fudge Sundae Ice Cream Cake Recipe
- 15.25 ounces Devils Food Cake Mix
- 1 cup water
- ⅓ cup oil
- 3 eggs
- ½ gallon vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup whipped cream
- ½ cup nuts chopped
- 15 maraschino cherries
Hot Fudge Sauce
- 1 cup butter
- ⅓ cup cocoa
- 3 cups sugar
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees for a metal or glass pan or 325 degrees for dark or coated pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, water, oil and eggs until combined and smooth. Pour batter into a well greased 9x13 inch baking pan and cook for 26-30 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely.
- After completely cooled, remove the cake from the pan and cut in half horizontally. Replace the bottom half of the cake into the pan. Cut ice cream into even slices and place over the bottom cake layer. Put the top half of the cake over the layer of ice cream. Cover and store in the freezer until ready to eat. Cut into slices and top with hot fudge, whipped cream, nuts and a cherry.
- In a large sauce pan, combine butter, cocoa, sugar and evaporated milk over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil and let boil for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove pan from heat and whisk in vanilla. Serve immediately.
- Store extra hot fudge in the refrigerator and microwave to reheat as needed.
- Mixing Bowl
- 9x13-inch Baking Pan
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Six Sisters’ Stuff COPYCAT COOKING <—– Click here to order!