Growing up, I always requested Funfetti cake for my birthday. There is just something about that delicious cake batter flavor with sprinkles that I have always loved.
Rather than making a whole cake, I thought I would make something a little easier for my kiddos to eat and these Funfetti Cookie Cups were born.
They made the perfect after school snack and I didn’t feel as guilty eating so many of them because they were so cute and little.
It’s also a fun recipe to let them help you make. From stirring the bowl, to frosting and sprinkling the cookies with their favorite sprinkles.
Could I make this with other cake mix flavors?
For this recipe, we used funfetti cake mix, but you could easily make it, using any flavor of cake mix. You can go more rich and take a chocolate route, or light and go for lemon. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Devils Food Cake Mix (with german frosting or chocolate frosting)
- Dark Chocolate Cake Mix (with strawberry frosting)
- Yellow Cake Mix (with chocolate frosting)
- Lemon Cake Mix (with cream cheese frosting)
- Strawberry Cake Mix
- Cherry Chip Cake Mix
- Key Lime Cake Mix
- White Cake Mix
Really any cake mix would work, as long as it is the same size cake mix, as instructed in the recipe.
For this recipe, we give you a separate recipe to make your own buttercream frosting. However, you could easily use a canned frosting from the store, and they would be just as delicious.
I prefer the taste of the homemade stuff, but these are so yummy with store bought as well. You can also go to your local bakery, or the bakery in your grocer and ask for a certain flavor or type of frosting as well.
Watch how to make another cookie favorite, here:
Did you know we have a Youtube Channel? We have hundreds of simple and delicious recipes, your family is going to love. We take you through each recipe, step by step, and show you exactly how to make them.
This Homemade Pizzookie Cookie is my new favorite thing. It is so simple to make and tastes absolutely amazing. The best part is when it comes out of the oven, and you put that scoop of ice cream on top, and take the first bite. I think it’s what heaven tastes like. Watch how easy it is to make, here:
Looking for more delicious cookie recipes? Here are a few of our favorites:
- Edible Cookie Dough
- The Best Banana Cream Pudding Cookies
- Sprinkle Sugar Cookies
- Brownie Mix Cookies
- Grasshopper Mint Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies
Funfetti Cookie Cups Recipe
- 15.25 ounces Funfetti Cake Mix
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup butter softened
- 4 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 Tablespoons heavy cream
- ⅛ cup sprinkles optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spray a mini muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, eggs and shortening until well combined.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls and place in greased muffin tin.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Let cool in muffin tins for a few minutes, remove to a cooling rack and let cool completely.
- To make the frosting, combine butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, and cream in a large mixing bowl and beat for 5 to 7 minutes until light and fluffy. Add more or less powdered sugar and heavy cream depending on the consistency you like.
- Frost cookies and top with sprinkles, if desired.
- Mixing Bowl
- Muffin Tin