Can you add toppings to Ice Cream Cake?
Easy Ice Cream cake is so delicious and can easily stand on it’s own. It’s so easy to turn this ice cream cake into an ice cream sundae by adding a few toppings to the finished cake.
This ice cream cake recipe has some of your favorite candy bars crushed up and added to the top. You can easily add more favorite candy or toppings in between the layers.
It’s so easy to change this ice cream cake up to suit your own taste.
Here are some toppings we like to add to turn this simple dessert into a fine ice cream sundae cake masterpiece.
- Raspberries (gently rinsed and dry on a paper towel)
- Strawberries, sliced
- Bananas, sliced
- Candy bars (favorite candy coarsely chopped)
- Chopped nuts
- Whipped topping
- Caramel topping
This is the perfect birthday cake dessert for those who aren’t big cake eaters.
can you add more layers to the cake?
Our recipe for easy ice cream cake is only 2 layers high and uses 12 ice cream sandwiches. Those 12 ice cream sandwiches make 2 cakes that are 2 layers high.
You can easily combine these 2 cakes and make one delicious 3 layer cake. You will use 4 ice cream sandwiches on each layer.
We often make this on a platter when using 4 ice cream sandwiches per layer so that they can line up in a row. This makes for easy slicing when serving.
When adding each layer, you may want to freeze each one before adding more ingredient on top. This will prevent the layers from sliding around.
We have found that if you choose to add more ingredients than listed in the recipe, it is best to freeze each layer.
If you are adding whipped topping between each layer for added sweetness and gooey goodness, be sure to freeze between those layers.
Then remove from freezer and repeat the layer and freeze again until all 3 layers are done.
It may take a little time to freeze between layers, but in the long run it will be worth it so it’s not a landslide. When we follow this recipe as directed with just 2 layers, we have not had a problem with sliding.
can you make ice cream cake in a pan?
We love how our ice cream cake is a no fail recipe. It’s a few simple ingredients that need layering, and freezing. We have made this on a platter that is the correct size to hold the layers of ice cream sandwiches.
Ice cream cake can also be made in a pan. If you are making 2 separate cakes as directed in our recipe, a loaf pan is a great pan to make the cakes in.
Line the pans with either wax paper or parchment paper and leave some hanging over the edge.
This will be so helpful as you lift the frozen cake out of the pan to slice and serve.
how to make ice cream cake
This recipe makes 2 cakes that have 2 layers each. You can easily make this into one bigger cake if you wish. 3 layers with 4 sandwiches to each layer.
- Line a cookie sheet or pan with wax paper or parchment paper, leaving some hanging over the edge. If making your cake on a flat platter that you will also be serving from, there is no need to line the platter or serving plate.
- Microwave your hot fudge at 15 second intervals until it is slightly melted, but not burning hot. Stirring in between each interval.
- Lay out 3 ice cream sandwiches next to each other side by side. Then spread 1/4 cup of hot fudge on the 3 sandwiches. Then place 3 ice cream sandwiches going the other direction so they are criss cross on top of the hot fudge.
- Heat the Magic Shell bottle according to directions on the bottle. Once it is warmed up, pour half of the bottle over the ice cream sandwiches. Spread it around trying to get the Magic Shell to the edges.
- Place your chopped up candy bars on top of the cake and drizzle with a small amount of Magic Shell to hold them in place.
- Make another cake using the other 6 ice cream sandwiches. You can make it right next to the first cake if your pan has enough room. Or you can make them on separate plates or pans and freeze after being made.
- Freeze each cake for about 20 minutes or until ready to serve.
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
SIX SISTERS’ STUFF COPYCAT COOKING <—– CLICK HERE TO ORDER!
more ice cream desserts
Any dessert that has ice cream is a WIN at our house!
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Cake
- Reese’s Cookie Ice Cream Pops
- Ice Cream Sundae Trifle
- Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Cookie Sandwich
- Cookie Dough Ice Cream Bars
Have you seen out our YouTube channel?
Watch how to make our family favorite No Bake Monster Munch – it’s one of our favorite snacks!