Ingredients needed for Beef and Bean Taco Casserole:
- lean ground beef
- refried beans
- taco seasoning
- tortilla chips
- green bell pepper
- green onions
- black olives
- cheddar cheese (or your favorite cheese)
How to make Beef and Bean Taco Casserole:
Step 1: Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly cooked; drain.
Stir in refried beans, salsa, and taco seasoning mix. Reduce heat to medium. Cook until mixture starts to boil, stirring occasionally.
Step 2: In an ungreased 2-quart casserole dish, place 2 cups of the broken tortilla chips in the bottom of the pan.
One reader said that she felt the chips didn’t stay as crunchy as she liked, so she actually served the chips on the side – either option works!
Step 3: Top broken chips evenly with beef mixture.
This can be a little tricky – I found that it is easiest to scoop spoonfuls of the beef all over the pan and then use a large wooden spoon to gently spread it evenly around the pan.
Step 4: Sprinkle the top of the casserole with with bell pepper, onions, 1 cup of the tomato, the cheese, and olives.
Step 5: Bake uncovered 20 to 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly and cheese is melted. Top baked casserole with remaining 1/2 cup tomato and remaining 1/2 cup tortilla chips.
Tips from our readers:
- add sauteed mushrooms in with the beef mixture
- top each serving with sour cream and shredded lettuce
- saute garlic in with the beef mixture
- serve with guacamole
- use half of the chips in the bottom of the pan and then top each individual serving with crushed chips for added crunch
- top with more salsa
- add green chilies to the beef mixture
- add a chopped jalapeno to the beef mixture
- add diced onion to the beef mixture
- add chipotle peppers in adobo sauce to the beef mixture for added heat
Related recipe: love easy ground beef recipes? Try our Salisbury Steak!
Looking for more easy recipes?
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Six Sisters’ Stuff COPYCAT COOKING <—– Click here to order!
What to serve with Beef and Bean Taco Casserole:
Ground Beef and Bean Taco Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 16 ounces refried beans 1 can, or homemade refried beans
- 16 ounces salsa 1 jar
- 1 ounce Old El Paso Taco Seasoning Mix 1 package
- 2½ cups coarsely broken corn tortilla chips divided
- 1 medium green bell pepper diced
- 4 green onions sliced
- 3 tomatoes diced and divided
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese or favorite cheese
- ¼ cup sliced black olives
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly cooked; drain grease. Stir in refried beans, salsa, and taco seasoning mix.
- Reduce heat to medium. Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally.
- In ungreased 2-quart casserole, place 2 cups of the broken tortilla chips.
- Top evenly with beef mixture. Sprinkle with bell pepper, onions, 1 cup diced tomato, the cheese, and olives.
- Bake uncovered 20 to 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly and cheese is melted.
- Top baked casserole with remaining 1/2 cup diced tomato, sliced olives, and remaining 1/2 cup tortilla chips.
- Large Skillet
- 2 Quart Baking Dish
Be sure to not miss another recipe!
Have you checked out our YouTube channel?