We love all things churro on our website (have you tried our Cinnamon Churro Chex Mix?! It’s amazing!), but this is my favorite churro recipe that I make. You’ll love these Puff Pastry Baked Churro Recipe or (Cheater Churros)!
WHAT IS A CHURRO?
A churro is a fried-dough pastry. They are a traditional dessert in Spain and Portugal, but they are also very popular in the United States as well!
They can be thick or thin, but they are usually covered in a sugar coating.
Related Article: Easy Blackberry and Cream Cheese Danish made with a puff pastry!
RELATED RECIPE: IF YOU LOVE CHURROS, YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT OUR CHURRO WAFFLES!
Ingredients needed for baked churros:
- Frozen puff pastry sheet (I found them in the dessert freezer section of my grocery store)
Don’t have puff pastry dough?
Some of our readers have used other things as their dough base. Here are some of their suggestions:
- biscuit dough (though not as flaky and crisp, they are a yummy treat)
- pie crust (cut up strips of leftover pie crust and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar, then bake)
- pizza dough (cut into strips, bake, dip in cinnamon sugar)
- make your own churro dough (this recipe looks delicious and easy!)
We would not recommend using phyllo dough . . . it does not puff up like puff pastry dough does.
How to make this Puff Pastry Baked Churro Recipe:
Begin by preheating the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
Because the puff pastry is frozen, you will want to pull it out of the freezer 1-2 hours in advance. The dough will still be cold, but it won’t be frozen.
Inside the box will be 2 sheets of puff pastry. The recipe only uses 1 sheet of puff pastry, so you can either place the other sheet back in the freezer or double the recipe.
Start by unfolding the sheet and then cut it in half lengthwise. Then cut each half crosswise into 1-inch-wide strips. You should get about 9 from each side, 18 in total.
Next, line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or wax paper can work too) and spray it with non-stick cooking spray. Place the strips of dough on the parchment paper.
PRO TIP: Make sure to leave about 1 inch between each strip of dough to avoid them sticking together as they will plump up.
Once all of the strips of dough are on the cooking sheet, place them into the oven for 8-10 minutes or until they turn a nice golden brown color (mine only took 8 minutes, but every oven is different. You just want to make sure that they don’t overbake).
While the churros are baking in the oven, take the cinnamon and sugar and combine them completely to make the infamous cinnamon-sugar coating.
Also, pop the butter in the oven for about 30-45 seconds to melt it.
Pro tip: use long rectangle-like containers to make it easy to dip the pastry strips into the butter and cinnamon sugar mix!
After the churro pastry has taken on the wonderful golden brown color and you take them out of the oven, dip each of the pastry puffs into the melted butter and then immediately afterward roll it in the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
Place each churro pastry on a wire rack for at least 5 minutes or until the churros have dried and cooled completely. Then ENJOY!!
Can you make this Puff Pastry Baked Churro Recipe ahead of time?
These churros are best enjoyed the day that you make them. I also feel that they are best to serve immediately (I like them to still be warm).
If you need to warm them up, you could put them in the microwave for a few seconds, but reheated churros tend to not be as “crisp” as they are when they are fresh.
If you have leftovers, I would store them in an air-tight container for 1-2 days. We have not had them last longer than 24 hours at our house, so I am not sure how well the leftovers hold up!
Love Pastry Desserts?! Then you’ll want to try our Cream Puff Cake Dessert!
Looking for more delicious recipes?
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
SIX SISTERS’ STUFF COPYCAT COOKING <—– CLICK HERE TO ORDER!
Check out these other churro recipes:
- Instant Pot Churro Bites
- Churro Fries with Honey Butter Sauce
- Copycat Disneyland Churro Funnel Cake
- Churro Caramel Corn Pops
- Cinnamon Churro Chex Mix
- Churro Waffles
Puff Pastry Baked Churros Recipe (Cheater Churros)
- 1 sheet frozen pastry puff sheet thawed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F
- Unfold and cut puff pastry sheets in half lengthwise, and cut each half crosswise into 1-inch-wide strips. Place strips on a lightly greased parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown (mine only took 8 minutes).
- Meanwhile, combine sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Remove pastry sheets from oven and dip in melted butter, then roll in cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- Let stand on a wire rack for 5 minutes or until dry.
- These churros are best enjoyed the day that you make them. I also feel that they are best to serve immediately (I like them to still be warm).
- parchment paper
- Baking Sheet
- Mixing Bowl
- Cooling Rack
Recipe adapted from: Munchkin Munchies