Christmas is in full swing in our family!
We actually just had our family Christmas party a couple of days ago since Kristen was visiting in Utah from Indiana. You may have seen on Instagram the amazing pinata that our mom made for all the grandkids:
Seriously, our mom has mad talent when it comes to pinata making!
It was almost heart wrenching to watch the kids break into it after all the hours of hard work to make it! My mom is also known for making the world’s strongest pinatas so that everyone gets at least one turn to smack it . . . so not only did each grandchild get a turn, but also some of the adults. 🙂 It’s always a party at grandma’s!
My contribution to the party this year was this chex mix . . . if you love churros like I do, you are going to want to have this recipe in your life. I found the cinnamon chips at Walmart, but they can be tricky to find when it’s not the holiday season, so stock up if you can! You can also purchase cinnamon chips on Amazon.
Related Article: You’ll love our recipe for Puff Pastry Baked Churros, or as we like to call them, cheater churros!
Cinnamon Churro Chex Mix Recipe
- 9 cups Chex Cereal (I used corn chex)
- 2 cups cinnamon chips
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Dump cereal into a large bowl (the bigger, the better - this makes a ton!).
- Place the cinnamon chips and butter together in a medium sized bowl and microwave on high heat for 45 seconds. Remove from microwave and stir, then heat again for 20 seconds. Stir until chips are completely melted and smooth. If you need to microwave them again, just do it for 15-20 second intervals, stirring in between. You want the melted chips to be thin so you can pour it or spoon it over the cereal, not thick and clumpy (which is how they will be if you overcook them).
- Pour melted cinnamon chips over the cereal and mix until all the cereal pieces are evenly coated.
- In another separate bowl, mix together powdered sugar, white sugar, and cinnamon. Pour cinnamon/sugar mixture over the cereal, stirring the entire time, so that all pieces of cereal are evenly coated.
- Spread cereal on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper and let cool (or you can eat them warm because that is delicious too!).
- Large Bowl
- Microwave Safe
- Mixing Bowl
- Cookie Sheet
- Wax Paper