Molasses Cookies are one of my all-time favorite cookies.
They are perfect for the holidays and freeze well!
The story behind the cookies
In honor of the release of our holiday cookbook, 12 Days of Christmas with Six Sisters’ Stuff, we hosted a recipe contest to find YOUR favorite holiday recipes.
After a lot of baking, cooking and sampling we chose 12 of our reader’s favorite recipes.
Today we are featuring this Molasses Cookies recipe from LeAnn Kelly of Virginia.
These cookies are a family favorite at her house, and her son requests them every year without fail.
Related Recipe: You’ll love these quick and easy Soft Vanilla Sugar Cookies. Perfect for the holidays!
Could I use butter instead of shortening?
These cookies are so soft and chewy, and that is mostly because of the shortening.
If you do make this recipe using butter, I recommend using butter at room temperature.
If the butter is melted, the cookie dough will be too soft, which will lead to sticky dough. You will then have to add more flour, and your cookies will taste bland.
We recommend using shortening for the texture and it’s chemical properties, when combined with other ingredients and baked. It will create soft and chewy cookies, that your guests will rave about.
Looking for more EASY Christmas Cookies?! Try these 50 Easy Christmas Cookie Recipes with Few Ingredients!
Did you know we have a Youtube Channel?
Looking for more holiday cookies? Here are a few of our favorites:
- Cake Mix Christmas Cookies
- Christmas Tree Cupcake Topper
- Christmas Santa Cookies
- Christmas Tree Brownies
- Molasses Cookies
- Soft and Chewy Ginger Cookies
The Best Molasses Cookies Recipe
- 4½ cups flour
- 4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1½ cups butter-flavored shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup molasses
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl stir together flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, and cloves. Set aside.
- In a large bowl beat shortening for 30 seconds. Add the 2 cups granulated sugar; beat until combined.
- Beat in eggs and molasses until combined.
- Beat in half of flour mixture. Stir in remaining flour mixture.
- Shape dough into about 1 1/2 to 2 inch balls and roll in 2 Tablespoons sugar.
- Place balls 2 1/2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until cookies are light brown and puffed. (Do not overbake or cookies will not be chewy.)
- Cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to finish cooling.
Be sure to not miss another recipe! Follow Six Sisters’ Stuff on Instagram|Facebook|Pinterest|YouTube
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Six Sisters’ Stuff COPYCAT COOKING <—– Click here to order!
Love cooking as much as we do? Join our FREE private Facebook Group: Six Sisters’ Dinner Club!
Questions & Reviews