I’m a HUGE lemon bar fan. In fact, each year for my birthday I would request our Gooey Lemon Bars instead of birthday cake. I love citrus flavored everything and these fall right into my category of “perfect desserts”.
We took one of our very popular lemon bar recipes and tweaked it a little to bring you these delicious Key Lime Bars! If you love citrus flavored desserts like me, put these on the top of your to-do list ASAP!
How to make Key limE bar crust
The crust is really what makes these bars so delicious. It can be difficult to find the perfect balance of crumbly, moist AND delicious, but we definitely found it.
This crust is actually very simple. All you need is flour, butter, sugar, and a little bit of salt. We recommend not substituting any ingredients for this recipe, but gluten free flour can be used if you do need to adjust.
Start by creaming together your butter and sugar, then adding in your salt and flour. This will form a slightly crumbly dough, but not too crumbly. It should be fairly easy to spread and press into your pan.
Press your crust in a 9×13 pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes, or until it just begins to golden. Remember, you’ll be putting this back in the oven, so if it looks under baked that’s okay.
Bakers Notes on Key Lime Pie Bars
Here are a few notes and tips we took down while baking these bars to help you while you bake them at home!
- You will want to make the filling for your bars while the crust bakes alone so you can return them to the oven fairly quickly, or before the crust cools.
- It’s easiest to make this filling in a standing mixer, but beating it with a hand held mixer works well too. We would not recommend trying to whisk these eggs into the right thickness.
- You’ll know when these bars are done when the edges turn a light golden brown. Do not overcook them. They may seem a little jiggly in the middle, but they will set up as they cool.
- You’ll want to let these cool completely before cutting to get a clean cut. Leave them on the counter for a few hours or on an even surface in the fridge.
- “Dusting” with powdered sugar can sometimes be difficult. We like to use THIS shaker to create the perfect topping.
Related Recipe: Try our NEW No Bake Strawberry Cheesecake Bars!
Lime Recipes on Six Sisters’ Stuff
Loving the taste of these lime bars? Here are a few more delicious lime recipes to try!
Key Lime Bars Recipe
- 1 cup butter softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs beaten
- 1 lime zested
- 1 cup lime juice fresh or bottled
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 9x13-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cream together softened butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add flour and salt and mix until blended. Press into the bottom of prepared pan and bake for 15 minutes.
- While crust is cooking, make filling by mixing together sugar, eggs, lime zest, lime juice, and flour. Pour filling over hot crust and bake for about 25 -30 minutes or until set.
- Remove from oven and dust with powdered sugar.
- Cool completely and cut into squares, top with a slice of lime.
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Have you checked out our YouTube Channel?
In this video we’re showing you how to make our 5 Minute Creamy Key Lime Pie!