Homemade Waffles vs. Waffle Mix
Making anything homemade can be a little daunting at first. the ease of whipping up waffles from a mix may be something you’re not quite ready to let go of.
We know if you give this waffle recipe a try you will throw the waffle mix out and never look back. It’s not all about the flavor though, there are a lot of reasons we like to make our own.
Saving Money – Did you know you can actually save money by making your waffles from home? You’re no longer paying for a certain brand of waffle, a certain type of mix, or even a fancy box.
There’s a pretty good chance you already have all of the ingredients needed for homemade waffles, and it’s just a matter of throwing them together.
Personalizing your waffles– Nowadays there are a variety of flavors of waffles. Some with extra protein, some with oats, some with blueberries in the mix. The only problem is if you buy one flavor, you’re stuck with that flavor until you finish the box.
favorite Waffle Recipe mix-ins:
With homemade waffles, you can add any ingredients you want every time you make waffles.
- Peanut Butter
- Chocolate Chips
- Cinnamon and Sugar
Making Memories– This may seem silly, but you know those recipes that are passed down from generation to generation? This homemade waffle recipe is definitely one of those!
Once you personalize and perfect this recipe just the way your family likes it, it’s something that you’ll be making forever.
We’ve started a tradition making waffles every Saturday morning and it is so fun to see our kids get excited over something as simple as eating breakfast!
How to Make Homemade Waffles Healthier
There’s nothing like a good hearty breakfast, but we know what it’s like to be tempted with delicious waffles when you’re trying to cut back on your calories.
There are a lot of ways to make homemade waffles a little healthier. Here are a few substitutions we’d recommend if you’re looking to do so:
- Whole wheat flour in place of white flour
- Splenda in place of sugar
- Applesauce or yogurt in place of oil
- 3 egg whites in place of two full eggs
- Skim milk rather than a higher fat percentage milk
How to Make Hazelnut Syrup
I think it’s safe to say that Hazelnut spread is good on just about anything, but it was made to top waffles! This syrup is the perfect chocolate and hazelnut combination taking these waffles over the top.
Here’s what you will need:
- 1 cup chocolate syrup (we used fat free, but any kind will work!)
- 1/2 cup chocolate hazelnut spread
To make the syrup, combine chocolate sauce and hazelnut spread in a small sauce pan over low heat and whisk until warmed through. Drizzle over your waffles, top with fruit, and you are good to go.
Don’t have a waffle maker? This one is our favorite! —-> CLICK HERE TO GET IT!
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Six Sisters’ Stuff COPYCAT COOKING <—– Click here to order!
Check out our other waffle recipes:
Homemade Waffles with Chocolate Hazelnut Sauce
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups milk
- ⅓ cup butter melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Chocolate Hazelnut Sauce:
- 1 cup fat free chocolate syrup
- ½ cup chocolate hazelnut spread
- strawberries for topping
- whipped cream for topping
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder and sugar; set aside. Preheat waffle iron. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs. Stir in milk, butter and vanilla. Pour milk mixture into flour mixture and mix until combined. Pour batter into preheated waffle iron and cook until golden brown and crispy. In a small sauce pan, combine chocolate sauce and hazelnut spread over low heat. Whisk until warmed through. Serve over waffles. Top with strawberries and whipped cream.
- Waffle Iron
Have you checked out our YouTube channel? It has hundreds of yummy recipes that are easy to make and only require a few ingredients.