We love Mexican food and have so many delicious chicken enchilada recipes, but I decided to mix it up today by sharing my favorite ground beef enchilada recipe – your family will love it.
How to make enchilada filling:
For this perfect beef enchilada filling, start with a lean ground beef. Saute the beef with the chopped onions.
If you’re not a fan of ground beef, you could also use steak or chicken.
To make these vegetarian enchiladas, you could also use double the beans in your enchiladas or do a combination of rice and beans.
Next add in chili beans. Chili beans are usually pinto or kidney beans in a chili sauce.
If you can’t find chili beans, you can use pinto, kidney, or black beans as a substitute.
Now add in the enchilada sauce and the salsa and mix it all together.
Corn or Flour tortillas for enchiladas?
When it comes to making beef enchiladas, corn tortillas are more authentic, but flour tortillas work great as well!
Flour tortillas are softer, but corn usually holds up better and doesn’t get soggy. It really comes down to whatever you prefer.
How to roll your enchiladas
Enchiladas can get messy- especially when you are trying to roll them up. Here are some tips to help you roll the perfect enchilada:
- Place the enchilada mixture in the middle of the tortilla. Make sure you put it from end to end so you can avoid a whole bite of tortilla.
- Fold over one of the tortilla sides and tuck it under the enchilada filling. Roll the filled side over to the other end of the tortilla.
- I usually do the enchilada rolling in the 9×13 inch pan to avoid the meat from spilling out and so I don’t have to transport them from the counter to that pan and risk it all falling apart.
Can you freeze enchiladas?
This recipe is one of my favorites because it’s a 2-for-1: make them for dinner one night and save the second pan for another busy night.
I will make these ground beef enchiladas in 2 separate 9×13″ pans and bake one for dinner, then wrap the other pan (I usually make one pan in a disposable aluminum pan) in aluminum foil and toss it in the freezer.
These beef enchiladas will last for about 30 days in your freezer, so you can pull them out on a busy night and dinner is done!
Depending on how well you package them, you could probably keep them in your freezer for up to three months. However, we stay pretty busy so we usually use them within the month.
Looking for more enchilada recipes?
- Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas
- Slow Cooker Chile Verde Enchiladas
- Black Bean and Spinach Enchiladas
- Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas
- Fiesta Enchiladas
- Slow Cooker Beef Enchilada Stack
- Three Bean Enchiladas
Hearty Ground Beef Enchiladas Recipe
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 onions chopped
- 32 ounces chili beans 2 (16 oz cans) Do not drain
- 20 ounces red enchilada sauce 2 (10 oz cans)
- 1 cup salsa divided
- 16 flour tortillas 10 inch size
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2.25 ounces sliced olives 1 can
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain well.
- Stir in the beans, one can of enchilada sauce and 1/2 cup salsa; set aside.
- Top each tortilla with 2/3 cup beef mixture.
- Roll up and place seam side down in two greased 9 x 13 inch baking dishes (8 enchiladas per pan).
- Drizzle with the other can of enchilada sauce and remaining salsa.
- Sprinkle with cheese and olives.
- Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes.
- To use one of the pans as a freezer meal – cover well and place in the freezer. If frozen, remove enchiladas from freezer, leave foil on pan and cook for approximately 30 minutes. Remove foil and cook additional 15-20 min, until bubbling and cheese completely melted.
- Large Skillet
- 9×13 Inch Baking Dish (2)
Be sure to not miss another recipe! Follow Six Sisters’ Stuff on Instagram|Facebook|Pinterest|YouTube
Did you know we have a YouTube Channel?
You can find more easy, healthy, and delicious recipe videos there. We take you through each recipe step by step so they will be perfect for your guests or family.
Our cookbook, Dinner Made Easy, is now available!
Are you busy and on the go? You will love our Dinner Made Easy Cookbook! With over 100 easy main dishes to help you get dinner on the table, meal time will be a breeze!
Questions & Reviews