My husband absolutely loves enchiladas.
I love them too, but sometimes I hate making them because they take a long time- all the rolling of each enchilada.
This recipe has everything that regular enchiladas do, it’s just stacked in your slow cooker instead of rolled into a pan. Half the work with all the flavor? Yes please!
I also love that I can make it during the day (I usually throw it together in the morning when my kids are getting eating breakfast or playing), then when that bewitching hour of 5 pm rolls around and my kids turn hangry (hunger+angry = hangry), dinner is ready for them.
Slow Cooker Enchilada Stack Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ green bell pepper diced
- ½ yellow squash diced
- 1 onion diced
- 15 ounces pinto beans rinsed and drained
- 15 ounces black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup salsa
- 10 ounces red enchilada sauce divided
- 1 ounce low sodium taco seasoning packet
- 2 cups shredded Colby Jack Cheese
- 6 corn tortillas 6 inch
- 2 cups shredded lettuce optional topping
- Tablespoons sour cream optional topping
- 1 tomato diced-optional topping
- 1 avocado diced-optional topping
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook ground beef, green pepper, squash, and onion until ground beef is no longer pink.
- Reduce heat to low and add beans, salsa, 1/2 can of the enchilada sauce, and taco seasoning and cook until heated through. Let simmer for 5 minutes so that the flavors can meld together.
- Pour 1/3 of the meat mixture in the bottom of the slow cooker sprayed with nonstick cooking spray, sprinkle 1/2 cup of the cheese over the meat and top with two tortillas (they will overlap a little in the middle). Repeat layers two more times.
- Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the top of the tortillas (spread with a spatula if you need to) and top with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Cover with lid and cook on low for 3-4 hours (just until it's heated through)
- Scoop servings onto plates and top with your favorite toppings.
- Slow Cooker
Recipe inspired by Taste of Home