So, it was my birthday this past week and this Easy Black Forest Cake is what I usually request for my birthday. My mom has been making it for as long as I can remember and it seriously is so simple to make.
It makes two cakes using two 8 or 9 inch cake pans, and nobody is opposed to two birthday cakes, am I right?
My favorite layer of the cake is the fluffy cream cheese layer. It adds the perfect amount of tang and creamy texture that the cake needs.
If you have never tried black forest cake, you need to stop what you are doing and make it right now.
RELATED RECIPE: YOU’LL LOVE THIS SUPER MOIST PINEAPPLE POKE BUNDT CAKE RECIPE.
Love cooking as much as we do? Join our FREE private Facebook Group: Six Sisters’ Dinner Club!
WHAT COULD I USE INSTEAD OF CHERRY PIE FILLING?
I am not usually a cherry pie filling kind of girl, but with this cake, I honestly can’t get enough. It tastes so yummy. If you have never tried it with the cherry pie filling, I highly recommend you do. However, you could easily switch it up.
Here are a few other recommendations, I am sure you will love:
- Strawberry Pie Filling (I like to use the pie filling gel, then add my own fresh strawberries).
- Raspberry Pie Filling
- Blackberry Pie Filling (this one also tastes amazing with fresh blackberries)
- Blueberry Pie Filling
How to make Easy Black Forest Cake:
Spray 2 8″ or 9″ pans with non-stick cooking spray. Prepare cake mix with water, eggs and vegetable oil called for on cake mix directions. Split batter evenly between both pans and bake, following directions on back of cake mix box. Let cakes cool completely and remove from pans.
In a large bowl, mix together cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla until smooth. Fold in Cool Whip. Divide evenly and spread half of whipped cream mixture over each cake.
Top each cake with cherry pie filling. Refrigerate cakes until ready to serve.
COULD I MAKE THIS BLACK FORREST CAKE USING A DIFFERENT CAKE MIX?
I am all about chocolate, however, you could easily switch out the chocolate cake mix for a vanilla or white.
We highly recommend giving either flavor a try because chocolate and white cake, are both delicious with this recipe.
Watch how to make another one of our favorite chocolate dessert recipes, here:
Did you know we have a Youtube Channel? We have hundreds of simple and delicious recipes, your family is going to love. We take you through each recipe, step by step, and show you exactly how to make them.
This No Bake Eclair Cake is light and rich and the same time. It is so rich and creamy, you won’t be able to resist. Plus that chocolate layer on top, really adds to the chocolatey goodness. It really is like an eclair in cake form.
Watch how to make this recipe, here:
EASY Black Forest Cake Recipe
- 1 Devil's Food cake mix (I used 15.25 ounces Betty Crocker cake mix)
- water, eggs, and oil called for in cake mix directions
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 ounces Cool Whip Whipped Topping
- Your favorite pie filling*
- Spray 2 8" or 9" pans with non-stick cooking spray. Prepare cake mix with water, eggs and vegetable oil called for on cake mix directions. Split batter evenly between both pans and bake, following directions on back of cake mix box. Let cakes cool completely and remove from pans.
- In a large bowl, mix together cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla until smooth. Fold in Cool Whip. Divide evenly and spread half of whipped cream mixture over each cake.
- Top each cake with cherry pie filling. Refrigerate cakes until ready to serve.
Check out our new cookbook
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Six Sisters’ Stuff COPYCAT COOKING <—– Click here to order!