We are teaming up with Chex during this back to school season to help make your life easier. Things get busy with after school activities, so we are here to help with these Chewy Chex Bars. They can be thrown together in a matter of minutes!
You can use Chex cereal not only for breakfast, but to make the perfect snacks or savory dishes. One thing I love about this recipe is that you only need 5 ingredients to make them and you don’t even need a stove top. Throw your ingredients in the microwave, mix, and go!
How to Make Chewy Chex Bars:
Here are the 5 ingredients you need to make these delicious bars.
- Rice Chex Cereal
- Chocolate chips
- Candy coated chocolate
The first thing you want to do is get a big bowl and microwave your butter. You can microwave the butter separately, but I’m all about using the least amount of dishes as possible.
Once your butter is melted, go ahead and mix in your marshmallows. I used 4 cups of mini marshmallows, but you could use 4 cups of big marshmallows instead.
Stick your butter covered marshmallows in the microwave and cook until they are melted (about 1 minute.)
Next add your Chex Mix Cereal and mix it together softly. You don’t want to mix it hard or you will crush all the Chex Mix Cereal. Unless of course you want to crush them, it would still come out delicious! I just like to see my Chex cereal.
After you mix it all together add in about 1 and 1/2 cups of the candy coated chocolates. Many of the chocolates will crack and melt when you mix it in, so again try to mix softly.
Press the Chex mixture firmly into a 9×13 pan. Sprinkle the rest of the candy on top and press those in gently on the top of your bars.
Now it is time for my favorite part – the chocolate drizzle! Melt your Chocolate chips in the microwave and drizzle it right on top of your Chex Bars.
Let them cool and let the chocolate harden a little bit before serving them. You can even throw them in the freezer for a few minutes to make the chocolate harden even faster!
Tips for Making Chewy Chex Bars
- You can easily substitute the marshmallow for marshmallow creme.
- Spray your pan with cooking spray so the bars will come out easier!
- When pressing the Chex Bars into the pan, spray your hands with cooking spray and then press. Nothing will stick to them if you do it that way.
- Some chocolate chips don’t melt as much as we want. You can add a little bit of vegetable oil to your chocolate to make it the perfect consistency for your drizzle.
How Do you Store Chewy Chex Bars?
Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy. They last for 3 to 4 days after making them.
You may want to freeze them in an airtight container if you are not serving them until 4 days after making. I like to put mine is a ziplock freezer bag and pull them out one at a time for school lunches or for after school snacks.
Want to feed a crowd?
You can easily double these Chewy Chex Bars. I have made them in a cookie sheet pan when I doubled the recipe. They will be a little thinner, but they still work perfectly!
The hardest part of this recipe is to keep the kids out of the kitchen long enough to let them cool. Or better yet, this recipe is so easy that the kids could even join in on the making of the bars.
Check out our other Chex Recipes:
Chewy Chex Bars Recipe
- ¼ cup butter
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 8 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 2 cups milk chocolate m&ms
- ½ cup milk chocolate chips
- Spray 13 x 9 inch dish with non stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, microwave butter on high for 45 seconds or until all of the butter has melted.
- Add marshmallows and mix them into the butter. Microwave the butter and marshmallows together for 1 - 1 1/2 minutes longer. Stir until marshmallows are melted and everything is mixed together well.
- Pour the cereal and candy coated chocolates into the large bowl and mix. Press the mixture evenly into baking dish.
- In a small bowl melt the chocolate chips in microwave stirring every 30 seconds.
- With a spoon gently drizzle the chocolate over the Chex Bars.
- Let cool 10 minutes before serving.
This post is sponsored by Chex, but the recipe, thoughts and opinions are my own.