There’s nothing I love more in the summer than a fresh salad, especially when it’s topped with perfectly grilled steak.
This steak is marinaded in balsamic vinaigrette to give it the perfect flavor, then paired with freshly chopped veggies and mozzarella cheese.
At just under 300 calories, it’s a pretty healthy meal – full of fresh vegetables and protein.
Love cooking as much as we do? Join our FREE private Facebook Group: Six Sisters’ Dinner Club!
What dressing goes with steak salad?
This is probably one of our most highly-asked questions. We love to serve this salad with the same dressing we use for the marinade – a balsamic vinaigrette.
Our favorite is Ken’s Steak House dressing (this isn’t sponsored, it’s just our favorite). It doubles as a marinade and as a dressing.
If you’re looking for a homemade balsamic vinaigrette, we would recommend this recipe.
This really is a simple salad to throw together. With sliced cucumber, avocado, cherry tomatoes and power greens, it is chuck full of vegetables.
You could also add in red onions, radishes, fresh basil, dried cranberries, fresh mozzarella (in lieu of the block of mozzarella), arugula, nuts, bacon, hard-boiled eggs, or crumbled bleu cheese.
What kind of steak to use for this balsamic steak salad:
For this salad, we used one pound of top sirloin steak (it ended up being two steaks), but any type of steak could work. Flat iron steak, flank steak, or ribeye are also great options.
Grilled Steak vs broiled steak
I’ve made this recipe by grilling the steak AND by broiling the steak. Either way works, you can just choose whichever method you prefer.
Grilled steak will cook over medium heat 6-8 minutes on each side, depending on how well-done you like your steak.
For medium rare steak, your meat thermometer should read 140 degrees, medium should read 155 degrees, and well done should read 165 (all of these temperatures are for while the steak is still on the grill).
Then just put it on your favorite salad!
Looking for more summer salad recipes? Try these:
- Grilled Salmon Salad
- Fresh Fruit Salad with Citrus Glaze
- Buffalo Chicken Kale Salad
- Spinach Cucumber Strawberry Salad
- Homemade Caesar Salad and Dressing (without anchovies)
Balsamic Steak Salad Recipe
- 2 pounds sirloin steak
- 16 ounces Balsamic Vinaigrette Salad Dressing 1 bottle, divided
- 12 cups spring salad mix
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese 1 block, cubed
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 cucumber thinly sliced
- 1 avocado sliced
- Place steak in a resealable plastic bag.
- Add 1 cup balsamic vinaigrette, then seal and shake to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours (we like it best marinated overnight).
- Remove steak from marinade (then discard marinade).
- Grill steak over medium heat (or broil) until meat reaches desired doneness, about 6-8 minutes per side.
- While steak is cooking, divide salad greens, mozzarella cheese, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, and avocado over 6 plates. Top with steak once it's finished cooking and serve with remaining balsamic vinaigrette.
- Ziploc Bag