Cake Batter Blondies Recipe

Join us on Facebook to see our latest recipes!
Cake Batter Blondies on

My husband LOVES anything that uses a “Funfetti” cake mix and I knew as soon as I saw these that they would quickly become his favorite . . . I was totally right. This is kind of a like a dense cake, which makes it easy to cut up and serve as bars. They are super easy to throw together and taste amazing.

Cake Batter Blondies Recipe
Recipe type: Dessert
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 16
These delicious bars are so easy to make - it's basically a doctored-up cake mix! Once you try them, you'll be hooked!
  • 1 box Funfetti cake mix (you can also use a yellow cake mix if you don't have Funfetti)
  • ¼ cup vegetable oil
  • 1 egg
  • ⅓ – ½ cup milk
  • ¼ cup rainbow sprinkles (if you use a yellow cake mix, add these in)
  • ½ cup white chocolate chips
  • Sprinkles for the top
  • ¼ cup butter, softened
  • 2-3 tablespoons milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 cups powdered sugar (more or less depending on how thick/runny you like it)
  • 3-4 drops red food coloring to get desired pink color (optional)
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray pan (either 8x11" or 9x9" pan) with non-stick cooking spray.
  2. Combine the cake mix, oil, and egg in a large bowl. Add the milk to the bowl slowly – you want the batter to remain as dense as possible. Fold in the rainbow sprinkles and white chocolate chips.
  3. Dump batter in pan and spread to the edges. Bake for 25-30 minutes (they will be a little soft/gooey in the middle- just let them sit for about 20-30 minutes and they will set up).
  4. To make frosting, combine all frosting ingredients together in a bowl and frost bars when cool (frosting is optional because these taste amazing without frosting, but I am a serious frosting lover, so I added some and loved the way it turned out).

Recipe adapted from girlmeetslife

Equipment needed:

Here are more of our favorite bar recipes:
No Bake Reese’s Fudge Bars
Orange Creamsicle Bars
No Bake Scotcheroo Bars
Seven Layer Magic Cookie Bars
Cherry Pie Bars

Screen Shot 2015-08-03 at 2.48.28 PM

We’ve put together 50 of our favorite family recipes to make dinnertime a breeze!
You can get this eCookbook for just $4.99 (that’s less than ten cents a recipe)!

Get it HERE!

Like It? Share it!

If you enjoyed this post please consider sharing it with a friend

Family recipes, fun ideas, home projects & so much more!

Sign up for our free email newsletter and never miss another great recipe or tutorial.

Sorry about that Elizabeth and Anonymous! I just added about 3-4 drops of red food coloring to the frosting and mixed it in. I added it to the ingredients list for future reference. I have also made these with light blue frosting (about 5 drops of blue food coloring) and light green frosting (about 4 drops green food coloring). All of them look good. :)

2. Anonymous says

Do you know how to adapt the recipe for a 9×13 pan?

They sound awesome and I would like to bring them to my holiday potluck tmrw but the company is huge so I wanted to have a bit more.

@ Anonymous- I have had the best luck with these when I make them in an 11×8″ pan- maybe you could just make two pans about that size? As far as adapting to a 9×13, I am thinking that it would be best to increase the recipe by 50%, but that means that you would need 1 1/2 cake mixes . . . which is kind of random! And as far as baking time, I would probably increase it 5-10 minutes? I would just watch it and see if it needs more time than that! Good luck! I hope that it works! :) Have fun at your holiday potluck!

4. Aj says

My husband doesn’t like chocolate too much and I’m a chocolate freak! So, I have had trouble finding desserts we both like. The white chips were just enough to keep me happy and the blondie has been his favorite Christmas dessert so far. I used a yellow cake with green and red Christmas sprinkles to make it holiday worthy and kept the frosting white and added red sugar crystals on top! It’s been a hit! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

My whole extended family thought these were FANTASTIC when I made them yesterday! My daughter is making them for Valentine’s Day with a Valentine’s Day confetti cake mix. Wonderful! Tooth-decaying sweet – just the way I love them! But I would recommend a cup of coffee alongside!

Making these for a church social tonight. I am VERY pleased with the ease of making these, and the frosting is fantastic! I had pink Wilton frosting color and it really gave it a PUNCH of color! I think I might skip the sprinkles on top the frosting is so beautiful…
    Thank you!

To save time, I used melted white chocolate chips as frosting. Just dump half a bag of white chocolate chips onto the bars when they come out of the oven, wait 5 minutes, and spread. Then top with sprinkles just like the recipe suggests. Thanks for the recipe! DELICIOUS!

• says

Andrea- I am so sorry! I don’t know what would have happened? I know that different pans (glass, dark metal, etc) might make a difference and every oven cooks a little differently. Anyway, I am so sorry! I just don’t know. It’s totally a mystery to me!

I made these last night and they are awesome, but I suspect mine turned out different. When reading the recipe I assumed the white chocolate chips melted into the batter while it cooked, but mine stayed whole (they were ghirardelli white chocolate chips). Are they supposed to melt or stay solid? Maybe I need to find a different brand.

I made these with a Strawberry cake batter… hollllyyyy goodness. like. amazing. i also added powdered sugar into the batter (cus i just always do that with blondies- only 2 tbsp)…. they truly are amazing. I’m having to stop myself from eating the entire pan…..

I made three batches just as written. (1/3 cup milk is just right). First batch i over-baked at 30 minutes. (bad move!) 25 minutes is perfect. Be careful, if in doubt, set your timer for less time and watch the color on top. If it starts to turn golden it is done. Don’t do shortcuts….make the frosting. This recipe is one of the BEST buttercream recipes EVER. I like it white with sprinkles! mmmmmm!!! Thanks Sisters!!! Everyone at church asked for this recipe!